Want to overclock a Xeon but not sure

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys, i am planning to build a budget PC from used market, with these components:

CPU: Intel Xeon x3430

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7870

MOTHERBOARD: Asrock h55m-le

RAM: 8GB DDR3

PSU: Segotep SG-500A

PC Case:Floston Gravity Black

Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300

My question is:

Can I overclock the x3430 at least to 3.6, 3.7 GHz on that motherboard and with that cpu cooler?

Even 3.5 GHz is good 

Solution
Overclocking on those particular Xeons is impractical and pointless. You won't see any significant gains and you may WELL create problems in other areas.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Ok, but I've seen a video from Tech Yes City about a sistem like that, and it got me interested. At least in the video, this cpu performed really well to price-performance, and i wanted to built it. Should I? I don't have a big budget tho.

I am reminded of a quote from Abraham Lincoln, "Dont believe everything you see on the internet".

LOL. Now THAT is funny. Heh. You get points for humor AND for being accurate with that one.

Honestly, if you are going to build with used parts I'd recommend looking at a used platform somewhat newer than that which is seriously pretty old and anything out there from that generation is likely either been ridden to death and the owner is dumping it off because they've upgraded due to problems or is simply tired from years of service and probably doesn't have a lot of life left in it.

The OLDEST platform I would look at would probably be Haswell or mayyybe Ivy bridge. A 3770 or 3770k or a 4790/4790k would still possibly have some legs left in it.

Maybe at one time it was. Try finding a reasonably priced motherboard that isn't on it's last legs these days. People seem to conveniently overlook the fact that while CPUs tend to last a VERY long time, motherboards do not. If your board lasts five years, that's a pretty decent shot. If it lasts 7, that's fantastic. Beyond that it becomes incredibly unlikely that it will still be 100% operational with no issues whatsoever, if it has been used for all or even a part of that while.

Even if it's been sitting unopened in a box, there will STILL be capacitor degradation.

Since LGA 1366 boards were discontinued in 2012, that means ANY board you buy, even if it was brand new in 2012 which is HIGHLY unlikely, is going to be at least 7 years old. It used to be a good option, but I would sure as hell not throw money at any platform that old unless you can get it for pennies.

I don't see any of those systems as being viable investments. The fact that you do is certainly your prerogative, but I don't agree. They are too old for consideration as a gaming platform unless you are running an older version of Windows and playing old games.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Thank you guys for the answers! I am more than sure i will not build that, and try to find a good deal with a PC that has at least an ivy bridge CPU, 8gb ram, upgrade the power supply and put that Radeon HD 7870. I think this is enough for me. I don't think I will play pubg on this sistem,for example, or any higher games, that demand high-end sistems, or something like that. Again, Thanks!

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Dudes, i've found 2 sistems wich i think are very good for that price (160-200$)
Ok. The first sistem has: (160$)
I3 3220
8gb ram
Gtx 560ti(wich i will change it with that hd 7870, because, dude, is like 50$)
700w power supply
500gb hard drive
Second sistem: (200$)
Has an i3 4150
4gb ram
1TB WD hard drive
500w PSU
Wich is better? I think the second option, even has just 4 gb of ram.

That really depends on what the EXACT models of the included power supplies are for each system?

As far as the CPU goes, the system with the i3-4150 is better, but it also has less memory (RAM) and a lower capacity power supply, which might not matter if the power supply is a better quality model than the other one but we'd need to know the exact models to even guess at which would be the better choice AND you would definitely NEED to try and find another 4GB of memory to add to what it already has so knowing the model of the memory that comes with that system in order to determine if finding a match for it is going to be possible (Which still doesn't guarantee that the memory will "play nice" together).

Honestly, for systems that old, you REALLY want to find something with AT LEAST an i5, and preferably an i7. Those old i3's were not very capable at all, for gaming anyhow. And they are even less so now these many years later.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Um...I've found also a sistem wich has an i5, 8gb ram, good power supply, good price, but is a first generation i5, i5 750, wich has 4 cores and 4 threads, if I remember correctly, i checked ark.intel, but is old. Even it will run with that HD 7870 all kind of esports titles, but in like 1 or 2 years, ehm... let's say it will not be that "good" anymore. So yeah.....
"you REALLY want to find something with AT LEAST an i5, and preferably an i7". Oh gosh, at least in my country, prices for computers are high in comparison with U.S. for ex. for a i5 Ivy Bridge sistem with 8gb ram, you will play around 300$. So yeah...Of course, you can get super good deals, like i've found 1 month ago, a sistem with an i5 Haswell gen. 8gb ram, gtx 750ti, good power supply, 8gb ram, for only 200-250$ if I remember correctly.
I will not stop searching, and I will come back if I find something interesting! Thanks!

By "i5 or i7", I mean one that is at least 3rd gen or newer. That one is first gen. Too old to be of much use anymore. Ivy bridge would be the oldest I'd prefer to see, Sandy bridge if you HAD to. Haswell or newer would be a LOT better. You can usually find Haswell systems for reasonable prices. Maybe not in your region though.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Yeah, but like i said, you can find good deals almost everywhere in the world, and I am right! Yesterday i was thinking how to search to find some good deals, and guess what....I saw in my room, an old Dell computer, and i thought, Why not search Dell optiplex sistems? They have good components for cheap, and that's how i found an i5 3470, 8gb of ram Dell Optiplex 7010 sistem. And omg dude, it is just 150$.
And yeah, i said that the first gen i5 would be too old, even if has 4 cores and 4 threads!

Yes, that would probably be a decent deal. It would be a lot better if it came with a 3770 or 3770k, but you can probably upgrade to one of those at some point and gain a fair measure of performance. Ivy bridge i7 CPUs are pretty plentiful on the used market as well for really fair prices.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Yeah, that's what I was planning....to upgrade later to a Ivy Bridge i7, most probably 3770k. Now, can you recommend me a good gpu,cuz that HD 7870 would obviously bottleneck that 3470. I was thinking to an gtx 770, but not sure 100%

Actually, that card is probably a good fit, when they were new parts they almost certainly would have been recommended together in a lot of builds. But the fact is that it is a pretty old architecture by now, having been released in 2012, which is a pretty long run for a graphics card if it has seen any consistent use at all.

How much are you wanting to spend on a graphics card and what region/country are you in? I ask that because there are huge differences in availability and pricing from one country or region to another.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Well...60-80$, wich...in my region (south-eastern europe, more exactly, Romania) is like x4 (ex: 60$ x4= 240 Ron (lei) so that's kind of f***ed up, but hey, what can you do...right?.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

Also, a gtx 770 would be around 80$, in my region, i think it is the same as in u.s. for example
Btw, I want to spend as little as possible, if you don't mind, cuz, why not.

simpalak

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019

I've found an Rx 460 2gb OC for exactly 70$.
And i think i need to chose between this 2 cards.
Last question from me!
Thank you for all answers and suport, i might say. Again, thank you!

And sorry for my english, if i typed wrong, or things like that.I am not a very good english speaker