Dec 19, 2020
New member here- been surfing this site for a while and the absolute wealth of knowledge is astounding. I want to try and find a cheap (as possible) computer to play old games of my youth on- command and conquer (mostly generals:zero hour), rome total war, SIM CITY... I would think since my cheap desktop of 15 years ago could do it I should be able to find something today for next to nothing that could handle it.

I did find something on marketplace for 50 bucks, wondering if it would work.. Its an
HP Pavilion a6530f. Says it has AMD Phenom X3 8450, 4g ram, Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE, and a M2N68-LA (Narra3) motherboard

I could possibly even talk the seller down. Its been listed for a few weeks already. Unless am I better off buying something else? Would any cheap computer from within the last 5 years work?

If anyone took the time to read this, let alone offer insight, I truly appreciate it!

Solution
So I have a chromebook... I tried to search if I could play windows games but everything that came up talked about reinstalling the OS

I used to do stuff like this all the time.. I grew up in the days of winrar and file sharing sites (cant think of the name anymore). Stupid stuff like installing a no-cd key; I'm sure childs play for anyone serious about computers
Just pick up an old brand name or ready made PC from before year 2002 with Windows XP I gave away or recycled many, they go for peanuts. 32bit XP is compatible with most that old games.
New member here- been surfing this site for a while and the absolute wealth of knowledge is astounding. I want to try and find a cheap (as possible) computer to play old games of my youth on- command and conquer (mostly generals:zero hour), rome total war, SIM CITY... I would think since my cheap desktop of 15 years ago could do it I should be able to find something today for next to nothing that could handle it.

I did find something on marketplace for 50 bucks, wondering if it would work.. Its an
HP Pavilion a6530f. Says it has AMD Phenom X3 8450, 4g ram, Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE, and a M2N68-LA (Narra3) motherboard

I could possibly even talk the seller down. Its been listed for a few weeks already. Unless am I better off buying something else? Would any cheap computer from within the last 5 years work?

If anyone took the time to read this, let alone offer insight, I truly appreciate it!
Do you have any PC right now, all of that stuff (unless made for dos) should work on any new PC.

Dec 19, 2020
@Wardn1175
some old games are re-bundled for android. search "streets of rage android". same music, same pixelated sprites.
There is also DOS emulator for windows. DOSBox.

So I have a chromebook... I tried to search if I could play windows games but everything that came up talked about reinstalling the OS

I used to do stuff like this all the time.. I grew up in the days of winrar and file sharing sites (cant think of the name anymore). Stupid stuff like installing a no-cd key; I'm sure childs play for anyone serious about computers

Just pick up an old brand name or ready made PC from before year 2002 with Windows XP I gave away or recycled many, they go for peanuts. 32bit XP is compatible with most that old games.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS