Want to replace 1.1USB with 2.0 usb on Pavilion 523n

Mike

Splendid

I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
it?

Unlike more generic motherboards with BIOSes having more options, the HP BIOS
may not permit you to disable the USB ports. But it's worth a trip thru the
BIOS setup menus to see if it is possible... Ben Myers

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:33:28 GMT, "mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:

>I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
>to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
>523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
>it?

Si

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:33:28 GMT, "mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
>>want
>>to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
>>523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
>>it?

Why, haven't you still got USB 1.1 peripherals? Plugging them into a USB 2.0
port will slow it down to USB 1.1 speed.

Do what I have done with my 733uk. Leave the USB 1.1 for your older periphs,
and install a 2.0 PCI card for your newer ones.

I've got a 3 port belkin card. (2 external, 1 internal). I presume if I
wanted to I could convert my front two by plugging them into the internal
port of the card - but I've never bothered.

Si.

mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
> I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also want
> to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
> 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
> it?

Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?

[1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK

Si

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
>> I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
>> want
>> to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
>> 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
>> it?
>
> Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?
>
> [1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
> the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
> tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
> use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK

But again, why would you want to? As I said, theoretically, you could
connect them to a USB 2.0 card with an internal socket/connector?

Si.

Si.

Si <si@nospamforme.com> wrote:

> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> > mike <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
> >> I want to add a 2.0 usb 4 port card. I know where to insert it. I also
> >> want
> >> to deactivate the front two and the rear two USB 1.0 ports on my Pavilion
> >> 523n running Windows XP Home. Can it be done, and how do I go about doing
> >> it?
> >
> > Can't you just disable them in the profile(s) [1]?
> >
> > [1] Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> for each of
> > the devices in the respective "Universal Serial Bus controllers"
> > tree(s?), click on the device(s) -> Properties -> Device uasge: Do not
> > use this device in any hardware profiles (disable) -> OK
>
> But again, why would you want to? As I said, theoretically, you could
> connect them to a USB 2.0 card with an internal socket/connector?

Well, *re-wiring* is a different story, but if you just leave the USB
1.1 ports as they are, you may have some nasty suprises. I had those
when I added a Sitecom USB 2.0 Cardbus Card and Windows *still*
complained about a high-speed device plugged into a low-speed port (or
similar wording), even while the high-speed (hard-disk) device was
plugged into the USB 2.0 card. For (other) details about this mess, see
my earlier article:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=418e320f$0$61753$abc4f4c3@news.wanadoo.nl