[SOLVED] Want to replace the thermal pads on an MSI R9 390 GPU

Johnny Baker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2016
As the title says, I am looking to replace the thermal pads on my MSI GPU. Can anyone tell me the sizes and thicknesses of the pads I will be needing. I ordered a 50 X 50 X 1.5 MM pad and I know that will not be nearly enough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Solution
I'm thinking if you manage to find those pads online, then the dimension should be correct anyway.

Otherwise - if you think about cutting manually, you should disassemble the GPU cooler first. In meantime you can just use the onboard GPU instead (like if it takes time to get it delivered and you don't want to do the disassembly process twice just to get the measurements).
I'm thinking if you manage to find those pads online, then the dimension should be correct anyway.

Otherwise - if you think about cutting manually, you should disassemble the GPU cooler first. In meantime you can just use the onboard GPU instead (like if it takes time to get it delivered and you don't want to do the disassembly process twice just to get the measurements).

Solution

Johnny Baker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2016
I took it apart and changed the thermal paste but I think maybe the paste is a bit to old so I ordered some new. I decided that I might need to replace the pads too since it is a 5 year old card and used quite a bit though never OC'D.

Johnny Baker

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2016
I have ordered the needed parts to do this now. Thanks. I am having issues with the card getting way past 80 C, when it never used to so yes, it's time before it get to toasty. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2021
Was the pad replacement successful? Also, could you share the pad thicknesses you used for memory, vrm or other surface mount IC's? You mentioned 1.5mm, did you use that thickness all the way around? looking at the old pads I feel like msi may have used 2 different thicknesses, 1 and 1.5 or 2 maybe, hard to tell.