Want to revert back to my legit win 8.1 update 1 from pro version accidentally installed by clicking on add new features to wi

pswift

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
My computer was OEM win 8.0 64 bit upgraded thru the store to 8.1 update 1. After the free upgrade to win 10 ended I clicked on add new features to windows on the pcinfo page and 8.1 pro auto installed. I now have an un-activated copy of 8.1pro build 9600 that I cannot activate as Microsoft quit selling the key. I would pay for a legit key but how can you be sure it is legit until you try it? Any way to roll back to the non-pro version I had? Can I partition my 1TB hard drive and install 8.1 update 1 from my ISO I made during the upgrade and then install my 50+ software titles so I do not lose my computer for a while. I use it for a home based business and need to keep it running although I have a win 10 laptop with anniversary edition in it. I have a WD MyBook HDD backing up all files and also back up to flash drives regularly. Know how to re-install appdata for software etc. but have never created a new partition before. I also have genuine MS Win 8.0 install disks. Dell alienware X51 built in 2014.1TB WD Blue HDD. If I can get a activated copy of 8.1 running I can install the accessibilty challenged Win 10 upgrade. Thanks for any help.

pswift

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
3 months ago the Microsoft tech department had told me that I could not possibly have gotten the 8.1 pro version without paying them first and refused to deal with me. Today after 3 phone calls to Microsoft customer support a case was opened and a technition remotely connected to my computer and found that I was correct but they kept telling me that my only options were a total new install of 8.1 update 1 or to purchase through Microsoft Win 10 pro for $199. I informed the technition that when it happened back 3+ months ago I tried to buy the 8.1 pro key for $99 and could not buy it and since my problem was caused by Microsoft that it really was their problem to fix and I would not give them $199 and still have to fix it myself. I told her that my screen had a Win 8.1 pro build 9600 watermark on it and suddenly it was a new ballgame. After consulting her supervisor I was offered a 8.1 pro key for $40. I accepted and she activated my OS after credit card payment was made. The technition was very knowledgeable and courteous. Very pleased with the outcome but it took perseverance to get them to fix the problem.