Want to review CPUs? Writers Wanted!

uberwagner

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
FiringSquad.com is looking for a few good reviewers. We're holding a writing comptetition-if your work is good, you'll defininitely be considered for future review projects. And, if you manage to beat out the rest of the competition, you could get paid $1500 cash and earn a $10,000 writing contract to write for FiringSquad.

Oh, and the 4 finalists each get to keep and review an Intel Core 2 Extreme processor.

For more information: http://firingsquad.com/special/ec/

endyen

Splendid
I guess THGC should be honoured.
My thinking is that we do have some folks here who could write a good deal better than the crew over @ firing squad. ( definitely not me though)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Only if you give me the processor when you win. :wink:

I'll definitely give you A processor... (he says while rifling through the box of old Super Socket 7s...)

Actually I wouldn't ever want to skew the results of a contest. If I gotta win, I gotta win due to my submission, the fact that I am a ruggedly handsome virile piledriver stud who is God's gift to women and is never above bribing anyone to do absolutely anything no matter how immoral, illegal, unethical or fattening should have nothing to do with it... :twisted: :lol:

BTW, props to the Firing Squad organizers and the contributors so far. There are some excellent blogs in Preliminary 2!!!

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Meh. Socket A, socket 754, or newer, thanks.

Incidentally, my good 'ol Thunderbird died this past week (technically the processor still lives-insanely old board finally crapped out...I blame VIA, since they made the chipset :D) and I haven't decided what I'm going to replace it with yet, because I had just decided the day before that I was going to wait to upgrade until the April price drops so I could do quad core.

Also-OH NO, I used a meh. Ninja will certainly kill me now-probably in my sleep. Ah well.

And even more offtopic, but maybe not-so if a quantum computer stops working when you look at it, does it stop working if a blind man looks at it?

Think about it.

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I wish I could enter, but I'm not 18....

@ Threshold: Try a Asus Mobo, I got a SiS Chipset, not good for overclocking, but I have a custom BIOS, so I can now :p

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, we're going offtopic here.

1) My board's dead.
2) My RAM may or may not be dead.
3) If I'm going to replace the board and the RAM, I may as well replace the processor, too.

And I haven't decided whether a cheapo setup to get me on my digital feet again is best, or whether I should just take the plunge and build an E4300 system now.

OTOT: All hail Schrodinger's RAM!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Also-OH NO, I used a meh. Ninja will certainly kill me now-probably in my sleep. Ah well.

And even more offtopic, but maybe not-so if a quantum computer stops working when you look at it, does it stop working if a blind man looks at it?

Think about it.

First of all, this was posted before in an earlier thread, so I can post it again...

Therefore, you owe me royalties and Ninja nothing. :lol:

Then about the blind man looking at it... I'm gonna have to think about that one. Those are the kind of quantum experiments that should be done. Get a blind guy to look at it and see if the whole thing collapses down. It could answer more questions about reality than a thousand quantum computers.

And as for going back ontopic with a motherboard discussion, check the title of this thread first!!! :lol:

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I never said I was back ontopic. Just more offtopic. And then there was my OTOT (offtopic offtopic) comment about my Schrodinger's RAM.

So how much do I owe you in royalties, then?

And my apologies for not knowing that, as I wasn't there.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I never said I was back ontopic. Just more offtopic. And then there was my OTOT (offtopic offtopic) comment about my Schrodinger's RAM.

When a 1GB stick of Schrodinger's RAM is DOA do you still get 512MB? :wink:

Apology accepted. Royalty schedule: 1st Meh: $500. Every Meh beyond that: $400 (volume discount Meh plan.) :twisted:

I'm trying to figure if I should do it... I don;t need the money, but...

Go for it Ninja! We should get as many THG guys on there as we can. But we should hurry as there's less than 5 days left! The current blogs are of very good quality, but we all know THG is the best!!! :D

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Considering the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, it's not technically DOA in the general sense. It's more DOA in the sense of Dead or Alive. (I know, I said it, you can shoot me now...go ahead.)

And it's 2x128MB sticks in, obviously enough, single channel. I've still /got/ the full 256MB-I just can't USE it because the system won't boot. But since it's PROBABLY dead anyway, I'm not sure it matters.

I'm gonna have to owe you on that one, then.

I agree that you should do it, Ninja-or at least try for it.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Considering the RAM is PC133 SDRAM, it's not technically DOA in the general sense. It's more DOA in the sense of Dead or Alive. (I know, I said it, you can shoot me now...go ahead.)

And it's 2x128MB sticks in, obviously enough, single channel. I've still /got/ the full 256MB-I just can't USE it because the system won't boot. But since it's PROBABLY dead anyway, I'm not sure it matters.

I'm gonna have to owe you on that one, then.

I agree that you should do it, Ninja-or at least try for it.

Seems like you're lost in a cloud of probabilities! :lol:

Your credit is good for the first $500. The rest you pay cash...

NINJA!!!!!
Come on, dude, start typing. Get the whole DaClan in on it too. :D

m0rk

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

When a 1GB stick of Schrodinger's RAM is DOA do you still get 512MB? :wink:

Apology accepted. Royalty schedule: 1st Meh: $500. Every Meh beyond that: $400 (volume discount Meh plan.) :twisted:

I'm trying to figure if I should do it... I don;t need the money, but...

Go for it Ninja! We should get as many THG guys on there as we can. But we should hurry as there's less than 5 days left! The current blogs are of very good quality, but we all know THG is the best!!! :D

Just registered @ firingsquad. Im awaiting the confirmation mail as we speak....

May the best geek win :)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
You know...

It's a shame you didn't enter as FUDMan.

Yeah, I should have but I thought I'd use my real name so that they would have no problem cutting the check! :lol:

Just registered @ firingsquad. Im awaiting the confirmation mail as we speak....

Way to go m0rk! That's the attitude! We need more THGers! What can we do to have a THG avalanche of mass geekery on firingsquad.com???

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
You know...

It's a shame you didn't enter as FUDMan.

Yeah, I should have but I thought I'd use my real name so that they would have no problem cutting the check! :lol:

Way to go m0rk! That's the attitude! We need more THGers! What can we do to have a THG avalanche of mass geekery on firingsquad.com???Obviously.. JJ would fill the position quite well. He would have to resist the urge to get too technical, but i'm sure he could fight it. The thing is, and in no way do i begrudge Jack any fortune/fame,that i think there are other people who could "use" the money... Jack and Ninja as well, have no money issues from what can be gathered in their posts. I could probably use the money(for food/mortgage), as much as the starving students in here ,but english class was a booze/drug induced blur for me in high-school(thus my writing leaves much to be desired), and how i managed to get my grade 12 diploma is a testament to my dad's "convincing" parenting(read:strict) skills. :D

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Y'know, Tanker, it's too bad that we have only five days left otherwise it would have been fun to submit the entries here as posts so that people could provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and maximize the chances that a THGer would win! :D

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I think I may enter this - it'll be a chance to flex some lingual muscle outside of an English class 8)

My most profound and heartfelt felicitations on your affirmation to proffer your preeminent erudition in this distinguished literary tournament.

Now let's git some of these other geekizoids off their a$$es!!! We need more entries!!! :lol:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I think I may enter this - it'll be a chance to flex some lingual muscle outside of an English class 8)

My most profound and heartfelt felicitations on your affirmation to proffer your preeminent erudition in this distinguished literary tournament.

Now let's git some of these other geekizoids off their a$$es!!! We need more entries!!! :lol:

Hehe.

As a sidenote...is there anything that anyone would want to read about? Right now I'm thinking about examining the overall decline (or lack thereof) in volume of PC gaming with the rise of more hardcore console gamers. It's a pretty polarizing subject in the gaming world, a lot of people take it really seriously, so it would be tricky to write to please everyone. Well...anyone have any suggestions?

mpjesse

Splendid
PC gaming will die when the PC dies. Which will be.... never. ;-)

If anything, there's got to be MORE money in PC gaming then there was 10 years ago. Think about it.

In 1996 you were lucky to get 4 big PC titles in a year. Now-a-days we get about 10 big titles every year (all genres). MMORPG's are bigger than ever. And a video card that was once about $100 (Voodoo) now costs $600... and that's just the video card. Let's not forget about all the new pc gaming accessories there are available (mice, keyboards, headsets, ppu's, etc)

Despite the popularity of consoles, PC's gaming is much stronger than it was 10 years ago. As a whole gaming is more popular now than it was 10 years aog.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Tempting and I could use the money(lose job end of next month).
Although I haven't written any reviews for anything since my friend and I ran a N64 site back when I was... in middle school? We actually ended up selling site/domain for a few hundred if I remember correctly. I'm sure someone more qualified will win though.