Want to thank someone??

lesosweetlie

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I want to thank one of the techs here.
COIF?
I had a problem and followed your solution to someone else having the same issue and it worked perfect for me so far!

I can't seem to thank you any other way than this, that I could find.
So, thank you Coif! You solved my problem.
I have a few questions if you would help me further ?
I got another blue screen error and that is why I was doing a clean boot, but made a big mistake that you solved.

I want to know what to do from the safe mode now that I have re-enabled Microsoft and all my sevices again with msconfig.
I want to trouble shoot the blue screen to find the problem.
I read in Microsoft support, in the clean boot thing.....that I can boot or something .....I don't remember exactly....but it said to enable a group of services and restart? I think....then to see if the problem is still there. And to do this with groups of the sevices? Until I figure out which is the problem?
I may be wrong about this, but I am betting you know what I am trying to explain. You are very skilled and have earned your "Best" position here solving problems for lots of people . Including me.
So if you can help me try to find the problem with my laptop I would appreciate it.
I have some skills that are fresh....just got my assoc.degree in business management and I took a few techie courses, as I love technology and want to understand it and be able to troubleshoot and solve my own problems and help others like you. I took Windows 10 Admin., Intro. To Web design, and one or two other useful courses that helped me so much.
Anyway, I still don't understand some important things like the bios and the command prompt stuff that I need to learn, but I know my way around the computer and consider myself fairly techie. I say that so you know you are not dealing with someone who has little to no experience at all, which would be more challenging I would think.
I need to go back in the bios and change the boot back to HDD? at some point right? But I am staying in safe mode until I hear from you about any other things that may help and to make sure I did this correctly.
So I hope to hear from you soon. I will be watching for your reply and hope you can work with me through a few things?
Thank you very much!
Leslie Hallett

lesosweetlie

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
You are right ...I misspelled.
I have not used Tom's forum, so please forgive me for not knowing my way around here.
If I had time, I would do a tutorial to learn how to reply? If there is another way.
It is kind of confusing.
But yes, I did mean Colif.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Glad I could help :)

its rare that a clean boot will fix a BSOD. They are normally caused by bad drivers, so it would only be if a startup program was loading them. Its possible but would only be a small percentage. It could be the program is conflicting with the driver in some way

the only things I can think of from safe mode would be part of the process of helping us help you. for instance, you can go to C:\windows folder, change view to show hidden files and folders, and see how big the memory.dmp file is. If its below a gb in size, I normally ask the person to copy that file to a USB and then on another PC upload it to a file sharing site and show link here. THen others who know how to use Windows debugger (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/) can decypher the results and see what may be causing BSOD

Another user here has written a program that lets us take the dump files and present them in a fashion even I can understand... the standard format requires you to know more than I do about windows. I normally ask him to look at the dumps, though there are a few around who know how to read them without his program.

another thing I might ask people to do from safe mode is run a System File CHecker/DISM (Disc Image Servicing and Management) scan in command prompt just to make sure windows is okay

Every case is different, there is no "Do this to fix this error type" instructions. I only worked out how to fix errors after hanging around here and trying to help. Its the best way to learn how to fix errors you might one day get yourself. Find a question and look on google for an answer, hardest part there is knowing who to trust, but that comes with time. I see some of my old advice and wonder why I suggested it, yet other posts help me (like the one that helped you).

A lot of the advice I offer I have never done myself. I like finding problems I have never seen as it means I might learn something new from it.

If you getting a bsod now,

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

you can upload them or you can try to use the windows debugger yourself. I don't have any dumps on my PC so it can't even run.

lesosweetlie

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
So ...OK I will try.
The problem happens very randomly so I agree with you about the memory dmp file.
When I was in the windows 10 Admin class , I put VMware workstation on and installed Windows 10 in it for the course.
Is it possible my partitioning I set-up initially with it could cause this?
I think i did that wrong....but it didnt matter at tge time. Could it be part of something going wrong?
It is hard to speak the same language with tech stuff I noticed. Things I thought were called something...are sometimes called something else by tech. Gurus who know the right terminology for things too.
But I follow steps well with instructions....except for my msconfig ooops.
So in device manager there are two warning yellow drivers....but they don't seem too major. Should I Uninstaller and reinstall them to see if they fix? I did this with my processor drivers ...they were showing warning flags and I Google'd the solution and it wirked.

lesosweetlie

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Ooops!
I hit submit by accident. Sorry.
Anyway...I will follow your instructions and see if it works out.
I do Google everything and have learned a lot that way like you said.
Thanks for answering and the help.
Now if pull it off....lol
Do I go out of safe mode to do this?
And when I exit safe mode do I go back in bios to change the boot back from my disc to HDD? Or whatever or can I do that in msconfig or somewhere else?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you right click start button
choose disk management
take a screen shot of it and upload the screenshot to a image sharing site (I normally use imgur) and share the link here? that will tell us if you did anything with partitions.
Can you do the same for device manager as well? Help us Identify what is playing up. Its likely any BSOD you get are caused by the devices issuing the warnings.

I am not that technically minded, i came from not knowing anything so I don't assume others know anything either. It can be figured out based on the question and words used in it.

MSCONFIG seems to get lots of people, I usually suggest this site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows people often get step 3 wrong and stop all services which means windows cannot even boot.

what are specs of PC? Do you know what motherboard you have? If its a driver issue, you should go to web site of motherboard maker and see if any new drivers available. Some brands have software you can install that will check the drivers for you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you stuck in safe mode? All you should need to do to boot into normal from there is perhaps open MSCONFIG in safe mode, change Startup selection to normal startup, click apply and restart PC, shouldn't need to alter boot order in bios as if USB isn't in it, it should go to HDD - this can depend on how old PC is.

lesosweetlie

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Not stuck.....it worked perfectly! Yay for your solution to get me to safe mode from where I was!
Now I will look at the other stuff u said and see what comes of it.
Let me know what you see with my disk management.
I will keep checking in here and give you any info. U need.
Do u still want my specs?
I will do it next.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your link didn't work

show a screen shot of the disk management so it looks like this (though obviously not exactly)

MTE7LGg.jpg

Also show a screen shot of speccy summary screen (the page it starts on) as that should be enough.