Want to update my graphics card

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hello there, i'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to something that will run games better, i don't know much about computers but i currently have a nvidia fx 5500, which i do know is a pretty terrible graphics card :D

What other graphics cards can i get that will be compatible and able to fit into the slot that is currently taken by my fx 5500?

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Not sure if this is the right info its from System properties :

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3000+
2.01 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I currently have Nvidia FX 5500 and am looking to upgrade to something better that can be bought around the 25-30 pound price on Ebay and will work with my computer.

We're getting close but we need to know the motherboard as well, without that we cannot tell which expansion slot it has.
Do NOT, ever, ever buy second hand except from a close friend and NEVER from E-bay.

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Haha, i'll think twice before buying from Ebay then.

My motherboard hmmm... could you tell me how i can find out what my motherboard is? Will it say somewhere on windows or do i have to open up my computer and look inside? Sorry i'm not the best at computers.

G

DL CPUZ from here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and it will tell you everything you need to know about your MOBO or try GPUZ from here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ and it will tell you everything about your GPU and even what interface it is AGP or PCIEx. come on people this is old news get out from under those rocks! and have a nice day!

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Ok thanks a lot everyone for your help, i'm going to be purchasing the 3650 then, the only reason i was interested in a Nvidia is because it was the only graphics card company i really knew about.

Thanks again i'll make sure to use this site if i need any other complicated (for me) questions answered :p

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi again i've found this card -

SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

It says its x16 does that mean it won't work with my computer?

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Also i've found a card that is pretty much identical to the one you linked to except it says DDR2 instead of GDDR2, is this a problem?

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions

erowid

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I'm having a lot of trouble finding one of these cards, it seems to be a lot more available in the US but unfortunately most sites don't *** internationally or charge $30+ for it.

Do you know of any other cards that are similar to the Sapphire but more available in the UK? Or a website that sells the one you linked but ships to UK?

G

I agree and have owned a few ATI cards and sapphire makes the best Ive tested, my bro has a sapphire 3870 toxic and it scored 6.5 in windows 7 x64 ! and my 2x 9800GTs in SLI only score 6.0? but in gaming I destroy him..LOL