[SOLVED] Want to upgrade CPU

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
I recently got an rtx 2080 but am still using the same ryzen 7 1700 cpu that i've had for a while. Even with the upgraded gpu it seems like im getting lower fps.
build:
GPU: EVGA RTX2080
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
MOBO: asus prime x370-pro
Ram: corsair dominator platinum (2x8)
PSU: supernova 750w 80+ gold
monitor: asus 1440p 144hz

My question is what would be the best cpu I could get for under $400 (either get another amd since I have the right mobo or spend under $400 on a new mobo and intel cpu)

Solution
The 1700 and 2600 are pretty equitable, so you'd have to go for a 3600 or 3700x to see any better results. Honestly, fps isn't all it's cracked up to be, as long as minimums are good, you'll not see the difference. So what exactly is the issue? Only getting 100ish fps? Or feel like you should be getting higher than 150fps? 1440p/144Hz isn't exactly easy for either gpu nor cpu, not for every game.

WildCard999

Titan
Your motherboard does support 3rd gen CPU's as long as the BIOS has been updated to version 4801.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

What speed is your memory?

Not sure that would be an upgrade I would do though unless your system is really struggling with your games. I would probably just grab a good aftermarket CPU cooler and push that 1700 as far as it will safely go and then maybe grab a 4th gen CPU which should be the last Ryzen before AMD moves onto a different socket.

Last edited:

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Your motherboard does support 3rd gen CPU's as long as the BIOS has been updated to version 4801.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

What speed is your memory?

Not sure that would be an upgrade I would do though unless your system is really struggling with your games. I would probably just grab a good aftermarket CPU cooler and push that 1700 as far as it will safely go and then maybe grab a 4th gen CPU which should be the last Ryzen before AMD moves onto a different socket.
Right now my ram is at 2133 (I bought 3000 but i don't really know how to change it)
same with my cpu I used to have it at 3.9 GHz which was it's max but ever since I wiped my computer and reset it I haven't gone back into the BIOS to change it back since I don't really know how to and I don't want to mess anything up

WildCard999

Titan
Changing memory is about the easiest thing to do in your system, just make sure it's in the correct slots (usually A2/B2). Going from 2133 to 3000 could make a big difference in your gaming, could be near 20 FPS increase or at least less FPS dips. Once installed you may need to go into the BIOS and enable an option called AXMP, this will set the memory/timings/voltage to the correct specs so it runs properly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3J9VtWMEE8

There are plenty of Ryzen overclocking guides, just take your time and read up on it until you feel comfortable enough to start doing so.

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Changing memory is about the easiest thing to do in your system, just make sure it's in the correct slots (usually A2/B2). Going from 2133 to 3000 could make a big difference in your gaming, could be near 20 FPS increase or at least less FPS dips. Once installed you may need to go into the BIOS and enable an option called AXMP, this will set the memory/timings/voltage to the correct specs so it runs properly.

There are plenty of Ryzen overclocking guides, just take your time and read up on it until you feel comfortable enough to start doing so.
Thank you I'll try it out and see how it works

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017

Followed a guide and my pc failed and now it can't find my operating system. Idk if something is wrong with my computer cause I did the same thing I did last time I overclocked my CPU.

WildCard999

Titan
Followed a guide and my pc failed and now it can't find my operating system. Idk if something is wrong with my computer cause I did the same thing I did last time I overclocked my CPU.
Which guide?

If the memory you bought was 3000mhz (I may of misread your reply) then all you needed to do was go into the BIOS and enable DOCP*. If the system crashes then it will usually revert back to the previous working settings automatically. This crash might be due to the memory being in the wrong slots. Depending on how many sticks you have they need to be in certain spots or AXMP won't work.

bTmd2zJ.png

Getting the memory to run at the correct speed is more important then overclocking right now.

Can you get into the BIOS? If so revert everything back to stock for now. Then shut down the system, put the memory into the correct spots and turn the system back on. Once it boots to Windows and we know its working well then go back into the BIOS. My mistake though, AXMP with ASUS is actually called DOCP and it's enabled through the performance tab in the BIOS.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-renders game code into frames. It can only do so many per second. That'll be the hard fps limit. It then sends those frames to the gpu which then finish renders them according to details and resolution.
So if the cpu is capable of 100fps on a certain game, that's the fps limit. Won't matter if it's a gtx1060 or RTX2080ti, they only get 100fps. That won't change. What can change is fps going down, so at ultra a 1060 might only do 60fps, the 2080ti still do 100fps. Lowering settings won't change fps from cpu, but it will be less work on the 1060, so at medium it might get 80fps, the 2080ti still gets 100fps.

So upgrading you gpu won't change the fps it gets, won't increase fps unless the prior gpu wasn't capable of reproducing all 100fps.

Only way to increase fps is a stronger cpu. Stronger by ram upgrade, stronger by OC, stronger by replacement.

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Which guide?

If the memory you bought was 3000mhz (I may of misread your reply) then all you needed to do was go into the BIOS and enable DOCP*. If the system crashes then it will usually revert back to the previous working settings automatically. This crash might be due to the memory being in the wrong slots. Depending on how many sticks you have they need to be in certain spots or AXMP won't work.

bTmd2zJ.png

Getting the memory to run at the correct speed is more important then overclocking right now.

Can you get into the BIOS? If so revert everything back to stock for now. Then shut down the system, put the memory into the correct spots and turn the system back on. Once it boots to Windows and we know its working well then go back into the BIOS. My mistake though, AXMP with ASUS is actually called DOCP and it's enabled through the performance tab in the BIOS.
I have my ram in A2 and B2 already I reset to default and tried bringing my speed up to 2800 before I overclocked my cpu, (I have either 3000 or 3200 for my ram) but it would even crash my computer at just 2800. I tried bringing the voltage up to 1.35 since that's what it say it can support but nothing worked at all. Do I need to mess with the timings?

josh.springer24

Honorable
Nov 4, 2017
Cpu pre-renders game code into frames. It can only do so many per second. That'll be the hard fps limit. It then sends those frames to the gpu which then finish renders them according to details and resolution.
So if the cpu is capable of 100fps on a certain game, that's the fps limit. Won't matter if it's a gtx1060 or RTX2080ti, they only get 100fps. That won't change. What can change is fps going down, so at ultra a 1060 might only do 60fps, the 2080ti still do 100fps. Lowering settings won't change fps from cpu, but it will be less work on the 1060, so at medium it might get 80fps, the 2080ti still gets 100fps.

So upgrading you gpu won't change the fps it gets, won't increase fps unless the prior gpu wasn't capable of reproducing all 100fps.

Only way to increase fps is a stronger cpu. Stronger by ram upgrade, stronger by OC, stronger by replacement.
so that being said, would it be worth it to upgrade to a better cpu (mine is currently the ryzen 7 1700 at 3.9GHz)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 1700 and 2600 are pretty equitable, so you'd have to go for a 3600 or 3700x to see any better results. Honestly, fps isn't all it's cracked up to be, as long as minimums are good, you'll not see the difference. So what exactly is the issue? Only getting 100ish fps? Or feel like you should be getting higher than 150fps? 1440p/144Hz isn't exactly easy for either gpu nor cpu, not for every game.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
I have my ram in A2 and B2 already I reset to default and tried bringing my speed up to 2800 before I overclocked my cpu, (I have either 3000 or 3200 for my ram) but it would even crash my computer at just 2800. I tried bringing the voltage up to 1.35 since that's what it say it can support but nothing worked at all. Do I need to mess with the timings?
You shouldn't need to do any of that, DOCP sets the speed, timings & voltage. A motherboard BIOS update may help.