Want to upgrade current MB and CPU while keeping everything else.

mrloafy

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Current System: I5-3570K. Asus P8Z77-V Pro. Antec TP 750. Patriot Viper 3 1600X8. MSI GTX 1080. CM Hyper 212 Evo. SS 830 128GB(OS Windows 10 on this), SS 840 250GB, WD 500 GB HDD.

Upgrade: I7-7700K, ASUS Zi70 Pro, DDR4 2400 8X2 GB. (May want to upgrade my PSU as well)

I've recently upgraded a couple of things in my system and am wanting some more power for gaming and have noticed when I'm playing that my CPU and Memory are almost maxed out and I think they are the bottleneck for playing ultra on some things, and I just want what's new.

I'm wanting to know if I transfer over everything from my existing system onto a new motherboard and CPU, if there is anything I need to be careful of, or can I just hook everything up and change the bios settings before start up?

Also, if anyone knows of a guide to use for this sort of thing, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks.

Solution
ASUS Zi70 Pro, I guess this is the Z170 PRO GAMING.

Z170 PRO GAMING will require a 6th Generation Skylake CPU to flash BIOS before you can use a 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPU - I7-7700K. An Intel 200 Series Chipset does not require BIOS update for 7th Generation CPU. A Z270 Chipset motherboard is an alternative.

It is not realistic to think you can reuse operating system from a Z77 Chipset system. You can expect that to fail. You need to reinstall windows 10.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Basically, unplug everything from the old board, install the new one, and find the proper connections to hook it all back up. You will need to install motherboard drivers, as well as any integrated devices like audio and lan. Make sure you discharge any static buildup before touching anything (touch something metal first), and make sure the power is disconnected before you begin.

I notice your title doesn't mention it, but your upgrade list does... you will need new memory when you upgrade, can't transfer old to the new in this case.

It would be similar to a new build, other than you've sourced parts that are "used" instead of "new." It will be pretty much transfer, hook everything up, and adjust BIOS settings as necessary... with one caveat: IF you go with a Z170 board instead of a Z270, you might need to update the BIOS for Kaby-Lake use, if it hasn't been already upgraded. (Hard to tell as it depends on the stock on hand for the vendor and the stock sent to the vendor.)

EDIT: New RAM would also be needed as DDR3 won't work with the selected Motherboard. Your OS will need driver updates for the motherboard, and unless you have the Anniversary Edition (or newer) and have a MS account to sign into, you will need to reactivate Win10.

A newer PSU would handle the sleep states that the new i7 you're looking at could use that might confuse your current PSU.

ASUS Zi70 Pro, I guess this is the Z170 PRO GAMING.

Z170 PRO GAMING will require a 6th Generation Skylake CPU to flash BIOS before you can use a 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPU - I7-7700K. An Intel 200 Series Chipset does not require BIOS update for 7th Generation CPU. A Z270 Chipset motherboard is an alternative.

It is not realistic to think you can reuse operating system from a Z77 Chipset system. You can expect that to fail. You need to reinstall windows 10.

Solution