Want to upgrade Dell E510 to Win 8

BostonAl2012

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I've been trying to upgrade this OS (XP Media Center) since I bought this machine in 2005 to no avail... I've tried the demo of every OS since XP; Vista, Win 7 & now Win 8. Mostly it gets through the install to the first Reboot and freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen.

I have installed Win XP Pro.

Through the years I have upgraded the Video a few times (now Nvidia 8400) and added WiFi (D-link, N Gauge); it has 4gb of ram, but only recognized 3.2, I have had 6GB's in the past, but it also only recognized it as 3.2? Also this OS is 32bit (Media Center), so I have always tried 32bit OS's, should I try a 64bit?

I have many USB Peripherals running (Keyboard, Mouse, Camera, Gamepad, Joystick, printer, DVD-RW), should I unplug?

I have upgraded the Bios, the A07, Dell says highest for my machine, it's from 2007 though? Is there a generic that would be better?

I've gone to the MS site and ran the compatibility test, it says I should be able to install? I would gladly pay the $40 for Win 8... Is there something I'm missing?

I have upgraded other PC's no problem, including Dells, but this one (Mine is stubborn)? As I say this has always been a problem since Vista.

Help please I don't want to give up my Dinosaur yet...

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
First thing here we'll address your ram. A 32 bit operating system will only recognize/utilize 3GB of ram. A 64 bit OS is a requirement to utilize more than that. According to Dell, the motherboard will support 4GB of ram only (1GB each slot). For that reason I'm not seeing a real advantange to a 64 bit OS in your case.
Peripherals: Personally, I unplug everything I'm not using (or don't use often) or need soon. When doing upgrades, I leave only the mouse and keyboard plugged in, everything else added one at a time (and usually only right before first need for it since upgrade), so I can ensure proper driver loading of each component.
If MS says Win 8 will run, I say go for it (32 bit) - with some reservation.
Of course, you might want to see Dell's take on the upgrade which doesn't appear to be helpful http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=575111&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs
Hope it's at least a little help