Want to upgrade Dell Inspiron 660 GPU and Power Supply

nxyd

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Hi I want to upgrade my Dell 660 these are the specs, ive never upgraded a desktop computer before, and this is the first one ive ever owned.

I want to make a powerful gaming machine and make sure its relevant for a very long time and can run modern games on the highest settings like Skyrim.

It has a Intel Pentium G2030 @ 3ghz, 4gb ram, windows 7 home premium 64bit, apparently a mini tower though not the slim one, and Intel HD integrated graphics. 1tb hard drive

this should be it here http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-Desktop-Processor-Premium/dp/B00H09UDKG#productDetails

So I know the specs right now are beyond wimpy, but I want to upgrade this with top of the line parts.

I need a high end gpu and I know that means im going to need a high end psu to power it, and Im going to need instructions for how to put this stuff in since ive only ever changed ram and a keyboard on a laptop before.

I was thinking this for the psu, http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Certified/dp/B008RJZQSW/ref=cm_rdp_product

the thing is since I don't know anything about desktops really so I don't even know what would fit in my system and what wouldn't so im hoping you guys can help me out it would be really appreciated

and im not sure if im going to need a cpu to run the high end gpu, if I have to I will buy a new cpu

nxyd

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
thanks for the help, do you think I will need the i5 to run a GeForce GTX 760, which is the gpu im thinking of buying or can I put in the gpu first with my Pentium and delay the i5 for awhile?

and the gpu will fit my computer right? as well as the psu I linked?

might even buy the GeForce GTX 770 im not sure

That Pentium will likely bottleneck the 760. You could run it but might not get the fullest potential of the GPU without a CPU upgrade. It looks like that model will take an i5, though it is up to the Dell BIOS to support it. My search suggests it should, though I can't be 100% certain

edit: I see there are models of Inspiron 660 which come with an i5 from Dell (which probably use the same motherboard - no point in developing a different board and incurring unnecessary costs) so I'm quite confident the upgrade is possible

TRENDING THREADS