Question Want to upgrade for lighter pc

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I currently have a huge Azza box that I've been using for years. Every time I upgrade any parts, I just have my technician reorganize my box using new parts. But it is getting more difficult for me to lift and move around so I am looking to lighten my pc. Perhaps redo build and get a lighter (or smaller) box.

I also am a gamer so I have invested in fairly good parts and picked up a curved Monitor a couple of years ago: (New Monitor Sept 2019) Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 31.5" WQHD 144Hz HDMI DP FreeSync Curved Gaming LED Monitor

Any suggestions?

Current pc info:
AZZA Helios 910 Black Japanese SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 3.8GHz Eight-Core
ASUS Z490-A Prime Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard
G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL
Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB SSD V-NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Universal CPU Co

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, could certainly get a new motherboard and case to make it smaller, but the rough weight will stay the same. Mini ITX boards are just more dense.

No GPU or power supply listed, so hard to pick out an alternative case.

CPU cooler is quite tall, so you would probably have to replace that to something more low-profile.

Reactions: helper800

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Sorry, forgot to include those two items. Here they are:
Power supply: 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super GAMING OC 3X 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD Video Card

Last edited:

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
My power supply is: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92 80 Plus Bronze Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Sorry, when I copied the info I apparently cut off the most important information.
===========================
However, I see your point. But what I probably should have asked was if there were any smaller/lighter weight units that would be a good replacement for my current setup, but I was hoping to hear back about something that could replace what I have.

I suppose I should just look into a smaller build that has the same ability/power that I currently have so I can continue playing my games. My current pc is getting harder for me to move around as I get older. I'll be 77 in November and realized when I took it to my technician for a check up recently that I could not pick it up as easily as I used to and ended up with bruises on my arms where I held onto it.

How often do you move the system and why? Only for upgrades? Those should not be needed that often with what you have now, would be fine for several years easy.

Since you have someone you bring the system to, why not ask them about what would help? You can lose some weight but would need to basically build a smaller and less powerful system. Although if your case is steel, you can drop a bit of weight using a higher end aluminum smaller case, but as said already you would need a bunch of new components like a smaller motherboard and cooler to use a smaller case.

You don't need to bring the system in for a check up unless it's actually not working properly, and you can get some case straps to help carry it, or a smaller lightweight cart https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Lug...a0c65&pd_rd_wg=sbDJq&pd_rd_i=B08N4NDZGM&psc=1

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have a cart similar to that which is a great help, except it doesn't lift the cpu off the table onto the cart bed for me. :LOL: Would just love to have the strength back in my arms but at age 77 that's unlikely to happen...hehehe

Its really a situation where I am just getting older and no longer have the ability to lift and carry things like I used to 20 years ago...heck even just 5 years ago. Now if I could get one of those fancy anti-gravity items like you see in science fiction movies, I'd be all set....sigh, but alas our technology today is nowhere near that level.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I suppose the Azza is wasting a lot of weight in full drive cages, large side panel fan, etc.

My suggestion for a simple case would be this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7T...fy-2-compact-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-c-mes2c-01

If you strip out any 3.5" hard drives and replace them with 2.5" SATA SSDs or just stick with purely M.2 NVMe drives, you can save all the weight in excess cables.

Replace the PSU with a modular one so you only use the cables you need, and downsize it a little:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y8...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

That might drop a few pounds off the total.

Reactions: helper800