Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
PC SPECS:
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH X79
GPU(current): MSI GTX 970 4gb
CPU: Intel Core i7-4820k CPU 3.7GHz
PSU: In WIn commander 2 850w
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 MHz

For upcoming triple A titles I would like to upgrade my GPU to a gtx1080 or even a TI. If the Ti is overkill then forget it, but my main concern is will I have any complications upgrading to that graphics card(gtx 1080) while still keeping my CPU the same. Will I have any bottlenecks? Thanks!

If there's any misunderstandings I will clarify.

Thank you again to the people who have answered :)

Solution

Your CPU will be fine, I mean that depending on the resolution you plan to game in, a 1080Ti will be an extravagance.
For example, a 1080 would be more suitable for 1080p.
EDIT: For 4K, definitely go for a 1080Ti and/or overclock the CPU, to reach higher framerates.

Haoo

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Is there something in my specs worth more to upgrade, or do you mean like my gaming setup?

Haoo

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Should have stated that, currently I have a 1080p monitor but my cousin gave me a 4k one.

PuperHacker

Honorable

Your CPU will be fine, I mean that depending on the resolution you plan to game in, a 1080Ti will be an extravagance.
For example, a 1080 would be more suitable for 1080p.
EDIT: For 4K, definitely go for a 1080Ti and/or overclock the CPU, to reach higher framerates.

Solution

Keep in mind that the GeForce 10 series is nearly 2 years old now, and GeForce 11 cards are expected to arrive this summer, likely within the next few months. So if you're looking for a card for "upcoming games", it might potentially be worth waiting a bit to see what those new cards have to offer. Plus, while card prices have been getting better recently, cryptocurrency mining caused a huge price spike for graphics cards in January, and prices are still quite a bit higher than they were several months ago.