Question Want to upgrade my cpu?

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
I feel like its time to do it so maybe i could get some recommendations on upgrading my cpu? Im on a tight budget so i would prefer, if reasonable, a cpu with the same socket as my current one so i wont need to buy any other parts. If its more reasonable i guess we can upgrade cpu and motherboard. My current specs below.

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX SAVAGE 4x8GB 2400Mhz
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K
  • Graphics card: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
  • + SSD: Kingston v300 240GB
  • + HDD: Western Digital 2 TB (WD20EURX)
  • PSU: Corsair RMi RM1000i 1000W
  • CPU Cooler: Raijintek THEMIS Evo
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
  • Headset: Logitech G633
  • Mouse: AULA Ghost Shark
  • Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB
  • Monitor i dont have writtent it down with me right now, since i have new one, but its QHD 165hz able.

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
The only worthwhile upgrade would be an i7 4790K.

What exactly is lacking that you need to upgrade?

For a system that old it's better to just save up and upgrade everything at once.
I play mostly LoL and previously had stable fps on old FHD monitor so i didnt pay much attention to cpu, but now with QHD monitor i noticed that my fps drops to like 60-70 during big teamfights, but only if i have my webbrowser and LoL client running in the background. If when game starts i exit the browser and the client(which is part of the game if youre not familiar with LoL), i have good expierence with it, so i figured if my cpu cant even handle 14 year old game its own client and webbrowser only, its time to upgrade it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I feel like its time to do it so maybe i could get some recommendations on upgrading my cpu? Im on a tight budget so i would prefer, if reasonable, a cpu with the same socket as my current one so i wont need to buy any other parts. If its more reasonable i guess we can upgrade cpu and motherboard. My current specs below.

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
  • RAM: Kingston HyperX SAVAGE 4x8GB 2400Mhz
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K
  • Graphics card: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
  • + SSD: Kingston v300 240GB
  • + HDD: Western Digital 2 TB (WD20EURX)
  • PSU: Corsair RMi RM1000i 1000W
  • CPU Cooler: Raijintek THEMIS Evo
  • Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
  • Headset: Logitech G633
  • Mouse: AULA Ghost Shark
  • Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB
  • Monitor i dont have writtent it down with me right now, since i have new one, but its QHD 165hz able.

I don't see a worthwhile upgrade on this platform. Any upgrade worth the bother will involve a new platform, meaning new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. And the feasibility of that will depend on what the tight budget is.

Makatas

Honorable
Jan 13, 2017
I don't see a worthwhile upgrade on this platform. Any upgrade worth the bother will involve a new platform, meaning new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. And the feasibility of that will depend on what the tight budget is.
It would be 300-500eur depending on how many days i can not eat. That was a joke, dont take it serious, but yeah something in 300-400 eur range i could afford, but i remember it was the price of cpu alone when i bought it all those years back, so i dont think its possible to make any reasonable upgrade to entire platofrm with that. Welp unless im really out of a loop of current prices

Mar 31, 2023
It would be 300-500eur depending on how many days i can not eat. That was a joke, dont take it serious, but yeah something in 300-400 eur range i could afford, but i remember it was the price of cpu alone when i bought it all those years back, so i dont think its possible to make any reasonable upgrade to entire platofrm with that. Welp unless im really out of a loop of current prices
tbh the GTX 1080ti is still a great gpu no need to upgrade that also the psu, upgrading to i7 4th gen isnt worth it, i think upgrading to i7 12400f with new mobo and ram is great option, i dont recommend 13th gen cuz its still expensive, i dont think buying K verisons are worth it tbh since you need a better cooler, better motherboard and high freq ram just for extra frames,
ASRock B660M Pro RS Intel B660 Series CPU (LGA1700) Compatible B660M MicroATX Motherboard (amazon.com)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) (amazon.com)
Amazon.com: Intel CPU Core i7-12700F / 12/20 / 2.1GHz / 6xxChipset / BX8071512700F : Electronics

this costs around 450$, if you wanna save 150$ you can just pick up the i5 12400f since you only play LoL and i think its better value than the i7 12700f

TRENDING THREADS