Question Want to upgrade RAM for old Dell Latitude E6410, having issues booting Ingo windows

Oct 21, 2023
Hey there,
I need a laptop for uni, and instead of buying a new one I thought I'd use the old family laptop with a new battery.
I also had a Packard bell lying around with some better RAM, 2x 4GB sticks instead of 2x 2GB. So I switched them out, but the laptop doesn't boot into windows anymore.

It recognized the new RAM and suggested running a test, and all seemed fine, but I don't get past the screen "start "windows with diagnostics" or "start windows normally". (I hope you know what stage I mean, because I don't know the 1:1 translation.

Would be glad about any help :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Off the top of my head, the most you can go is 8GB of ram but you should make sure to look at a DDR3-1066MHz 1.5v kit. What processor is in your laptop? In the interim period I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS version.

Final word, you might not want to bother with your laptop in 2023 with 8GB's of ram.
^
is the answer to the (pseudo)question you've posted as thread title.

Hey there,
I need a laptop for uni, and instead of buying a new one I thought I'd use the old family laptop with a new battery.
I also had a Packard bell lying around with some better RAM, 2x 4GB sticks instead of 2x 2GB. So I switched them out, but the laptop doesn't boot into windows anymore.

It recognized the new RAM and suggested running a test, and all seemed fine, but I don't get past the screen "start "windows with diagnostics" or "start windows normally". (I hope you know what stage I mean, because I don't know the 1:1 translation.

Would be glad about any help :)
Does the pc work with the old ram?

If so test each stick of the new ram one at a time.

Oct 21, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Off the top of my head, the most you can go is 8GB of ram but you should make sure to look at a DDR3-1066MHz 1.5v kit. What processor is in your laptop? In the interim period I'd make sure you're on the latest BIOS version.

Final word, you might not want to bother with your laptop in 2023 with 8GB's of ram.
^
is the answer to the (pseudo)question you've posted as thread title.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/d...-core-i5520m-processor-3m-cache-2-40-ghz.html
This is the processor I think, Intel(R) Core i5 M20 - 2.4GHz

Apparently the laptop isn't all that crap. Is x64 based and all.
I hope it runs IntelliJ though.

The laptop runs fine with the 4GB RAM that were originally installed. I did a test with a battery I ordered and it ran mostly YouTube with some idling for 3.5 hours!!
When I testing the sticks individually I got a bluescreen reading BAD_POOL_HEADER, but together they still get to the stage of choosing how to launch windows and getting stuck in a loop at that stage (IMG 3)

IMG_20231021_121954.thumb.jpg.75859bf6b739ca9d9efae4a2678f2a63.jpg

IMG_20231021_121854.thumb.jpg.7b3ded39cb5b7ff759e4c5657fef3a89.jpg

IMG20231021122049.thumb.jpg.077549809fbfbd6d648bc2f44ac89c94.jpg

Oct 21, 2023
Also the two 4GB sticks shouldn't be faulty either, as they were in a working laptop beforehand, that is newer but still worse in performance than the E6410

TRENDING THREADS