[SOLVED] want to upgrade to a ssd how do i transfer the oem key?

shacker chacker

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
so i want to upgrade my laptop from a hard disk to a ssd and want to know if my device will still be activated if i somehow install windows 10 in the ssd and format the hard disk or will i have to take any additional steps? if so what are those?

Solution
Windows 10 will be activated on your new SSD no matter how you do it. You can't hardly go wrong. You could download the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft's web site and install it on your new SSD. Another option is to clone your HDD over to the SSD. That will bring Windows 10 and all your programs and files over to your new SSD. Microsoft has registered the product key for your license of Windows 10 in association with the motherboard in your laptop. Since you are not changing your motherboard, your license will remain active. You won't even need to enter the product key at any point during the transfer process.

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Windows 10 will be activated on your new SSD no matter how you do it. You can't hardly go wrong. You could download the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft's web site and install it on your new SSD. Another option is to clone your HDD over to the SSD. That will bring Windows 10 and all your programs and files over to your new SSD. Microsoft has registered the product key for your license of Windows 10 in association with the motherboard in your laptop. Since you are not changing your motherboard, your license will remain active. You won't even need to enter the product key at any point during the transfer process.

Reactions: shacker chacker
Solution