Want To Upgrade To Possible New CPU

Aug 9, 2018
Hey guys, I was thinking about upgrading my CPU without upgrading my motherboard. I currently have the AMD FX-4300 and wanted to upgrade to the AMD FX-8100 because I want to be able to run a GTX 1060 6 GB without it being bottlenecked. Problem is, I don't know if my motherboard could run it.

Some of My PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Grapics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Motherboard: GA-78LMT-S2 (rev 1.2)

Power Supply: EVGA 450 BV, 80+ Bronze 450W

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

(Some Info On The Motherboard)

Supports AMD AM3+ FX / AM3 Phenom™ II, Athlon™ II series Processors
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable™ 4 Classic Technology
Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3000 graphics (DirectX10)
PCI-E 2.0 x16 interface for ultimate graphics support
Hybrid EFI technology with DualBIOS for 3TB HDD support
GIGABYTE On/Off Charge™ for USB devices

If the FX-8100 is compatible, but there are better compatible CPUs out there for it, could you let me know?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Been hearing from other places that upgrading to an entirely new motherboard for a ryzen CPU would probably be a better option. If this is the case, what good motherboards would you guys recommend?

Solution
Ryzen does not support DDR3 RAM. DDR4 is required for operation. The 2600 will work with a B450 board perfectly fine. Your PSU SHOULD be good enough to handle the hardware, just don't expect any major overclocks.
Would your board be able to run it? Yes. Would I recommend doing so? No. Bottle-necking is a vastly misinterpreted statistic, nowadays. Upgrading from an old, weak 4-core CPU to an old, weak 8-core CPU won't be doing your system any favor. The 8100 will "bottleneck" your GPU just as much as your current chip.

(JUST SAW YOUR EDIT)

Anything from the new 2000-series would be good. If you can wait, AMD is coming out with a new 4-core/8-thread chip later this year. Otherwise, pick up a 2600 and pair it with a B450, preferable from ASRock. I really recommend the B450 Pro4.

Aug 9, 2018

Would the motherboard be able to use my DDR3 RAM until i could get new RAM and is my PSU good enough to handle them or would I need to upgrade?

EDIT: the Ryzen 5 2600 work with it for sure?

Aug 9, 2018

Alright, thank you! I dont plan on overclocking the CPU at all so there would be no problem there. I might upgrade the PSU in the future but for now, I'll keep it.