Want to use 2 cards...

bhumpty

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hi all,
I haven't completed the build in my sig, but it should be up by this weekend and I am already planning out my upgrades...
I wanted to add a Quadro card for some 3D CAD work...
Could I use a softmodded Geforce card in conjuction with my GTX 260?
OR, is the GTX 260 capable enough?
Thanks

Solution
As 8600GT and GTX260 uses the same Geforce driver then you run two graphics cards at a time.... But if you want to add a quadro card with a geforce card then there would be problem because the driver for the two cards are totally different (for drivers only those cards are different)...

What type of M/B you're using?? It it has two PCI-e slots and one runs at x16 and another at x8 mode then I would suggest to use GTX260 on the x16 and 8600GT in x8 slot.

And why do you want to use two different model cards in the same system??

bhumpty

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well, I want to teach myself ProE WF 5 and NX 6. I have Solidworks training and am trying to get in the big leagues..
SO, for all intensive purposes I will not be doing any large assemblies or renderings...
ALSO, I have the 8600 GT laying around so would it be worth it to soft mod and use it along side the GTX 260 (if that is even possible)??

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
As 8600GT and GTX260 uses the same Geforce driver then you run two graphics cards at a time.... But if you want to add a quadro card with a geforce card then there would be problem because the driver for the two cards are totally different (for drivers only those cards are different)...

What type of M/B you're using?? It it has two PCI-e slots and one runs at x16 and another at x8 mode then I would suggest to use GTX260 on the x16 and 8600GT in x8 slot.

And why do you want to use two different model cards in the same system??

Solution

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The modded 8600gt should run opengl apps faster than the GTX260, however as the other poster said - you cant use both at the same time.

If you do any gaming on that machine, then you'd be better off running the 260 by itself.

Also, is there a reason you don't want to mod the GTX260?

enayet_redeemer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Always make sure you have the latest approved driver for the program(s) you're running and if you don't know much about computers stay away from soft-modding your card to a Quadro. It's not a "supported" configuration (even though it works) and could cause your program(s) to become inoperable or create seemingly unrelated crashes/errors.