Want to wipe windows off old harddrive and use as new storage

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Hello all,

I currently have a WD 320GB caviar blue model HDD sitting on my desk. It has a full copy of windows Vista 32 on it, and it was my one and only harddrive until I upgraded to my new machine.

I am paranoid about selling or giving away old harddrives. Therefore, I might as well use it as storage space in my new system.

Can anyone explain or link me to the steps I need to take to completely wipe the drive, and then what I need to do in windows after physically installing it into the computer?

I have never used a system with multiple hard drives so I am completely new to the concept. I don't want to earn a masters in HDD lingo. I just want to know how to add 320gb of space to my system to store files. basically like adding 320gb of space to my C:/ drive. Is this possible?

thanks for any and all help :)

~Rome

Not a hard task.
Most likely all that you would need to do is install the HDD in the new computer. Power on the computer, it should boot to your current operating system. In the event that it should try to boot to your old vista operating system (1) Shut down/reboot durning the boot (bios load) hit F12 for boot menu (If not F12 check manual).
Once into your current operating system go to control panel - system - bottom of page should show "format/reformat" Select that and it will bring up a Disk Management display. Select the drive. If it shows multiple partitions, delete them and recreate a single partition and format. Can provide disk name prior to format (ie MyData) or just rename when done.

For How to install 2nd drive:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=How+to+install+2nd+Hard+drive&cp=17&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=active&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=How+to+install+2n&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=73fc2eee6b126d9

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Thanks for your input.

Is it possible to deactivate that copy of vista from that harddrive so I can use it for a different computer in the future instead of purchasing another license?

Probably will not have a problem. When, and if, you install it on a 2nd computer most likely it will install without a problem - worst case is that you would get a message and all you would need to do is call usoft. If Retail version Just exsplain you removed it from Computer 1 and are installing on your computer 2.

xrome

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

I figured it would be like itunes or something, where you can install it on a new machine if you first deactivated it from the current system through some sort of un-activation process online through microsoft. Guess I was guessing wrong :)