[SOLVED] Want USBs to power off when PC shutdown

Feb 27, 2021
I notice when my PC shuts down, power is still sent to the USB devices (notably an SSD, and I assume to the rest too). When I switch on the PC in the morning the SSD temp is 43C, then decreases to 38C., indicating the SSD is receiving more power when the PC is off than when it is on.

Obviously I don't want such ridiculousness to continue. I already have Fast Start disabled. I heard that in all modern BIOSes there is an ERP option which addresses this, but mine does not have such an option (ASUS z490-p) even though it's new.

I have changed one other setting (although can't test it yet) - in Power Options > Advanced settings I've changed USB Selective Suspend from Disabled to Enabled. I doubt this will have any effect.

Does anyone have an idea of what else I might try. I don't want to switch the PSU off at night and neither do I want to unplug my USBs, for the same reason.

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Ideally you should only have your mouse and keyboard plugged into the system regardless of when you're using it or not. Storage devices like portable hard drives and SSD's and pen drives should all be disconnected from the system.

We have no way of telling if your PSU is of bad or good build quality since it wasn't stated above. You might want to list your full system's specs and all the peripherals that are connected to the PC even when the system is powered down. To add, you should also turn off the wall socket so your PSU is not draining power from the wall(also known as vampyric power draw).

Feb 27, 2021
Ideally you should only have your mouse and keyboard plugged into the system regardless of when you're using it or not. Storage devices like portable hard drives and SSD's and pen drives should all be disconnected from the system.

We have no way of telling if your PSU is of bad or good build quality since it wasn't stated above. You might want to list your full system's specs and all the peripherals that are connected to the PC even when the system is powered down. To add, you should also turn off the wall socket so your PSU is not draining power from the wall(also known as vampyric power draw).

I've never heard of people disconnecting peripherals from their PC when shutdown. It's not something I'd want to do, not least because continued connection and disconnection cannot be good for the connectors themselves. I can't turn off at the wall socket in any event, it's connected to a UPS so I'd have to manually disconnect the power lead. I just want the USB to be powered off when I shutdown the PC.

All components are new and high spec; PSU is Corsair RM750x modular.

advanced\onboard device configuration, here disable usb power in soft off (s5) state
advanced\apm configuration here enable erp

These are the settings I looked for in the BIOS but I couldn't see any APM, ERP or S5 settings, even in Advanced. I'll have another look later; I guess they must be in there somewhere but who knows.

Feb 27, 2021
Found them, that did the trick. I was being dull and missed the fact there was a scrollbar on the Advanced page. In my defence, that is some grim BIOS interface, like something from 2007.