wanted: stable router

m.v.kints

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Hello, i currently own a tp-link wr1043nd router,

I purchased this because i was adviced that this was a stable router, in contrast to my previous router which is used for years, but it isn't. a few times a day the wired (and ofcourse wireless) connections just drops away.. for a few seconds and then it comes back up, but sometimes (2-3 a week) it also just freezes completely so i have to reset is manually on the router (hardware reset button)

therefor i looked into a different router, i heard that the linksys routers were supposed to be good, so i looked into them and almost bought a wrt1900acs. but when i went to a different site and read the reviews i found many people having the same issue for this router, while this one was supposed to be extremely stable according to some reviews, guess not.

so my question is, what router is stable. I'm not a gamer, i don't have high demands (wired 1Mbit) except for stability. -> edit: 1Mbit is supposed to be 1Gbit

what i use it for:

Wired:
NAS (no streaming)
PC
Music player
(3D-printer)

Wifi:
Mobile wireless connection
- calling over IP
- litte kodi streaming from the nas but reearly and not of major importance to me.
Wifi printer (frequent usage, important)

major issues i had when printing large jobs / or phone call interrupt they get interrupted.
but it is not an issue of unstable wifi, at those moments it also counts for wired connections.

Can anyone advice me on a router that will be stable (am (very) willing to work with openWRT or DD-WRT. but the issues with modern routers seem hardware related and not software.

any advice is much appreciated.

kanewolf

Titan
With 1Mbit WAN service, I would go for an "oldie but goodie", Asus RT-N56U or an RT-N65U. I use them as WIFI access points. They are bullet proof. You can fun stock or PADAVAN firmware -- https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/downloads/

About $20 used on E-Bay.

m.v.kints

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Oke sorry, my bad.

the 1 Mbit, was supposed to be 1 Gbit or 1000Mbit.

i do have a linksys BEFSR81 i can get my hand on for free, just not entirely sure is working (don't know why they threw it away, but i can verify) but that is an 8 port router/switch which i'm not entirely sure of what that means. i only know routers or witches, not the combies and also 100Mbit not a 1000Mbit. although the later might not be the biggest issue if it would mean stability. unfortunately.. no wifi.