Question wanted to find a laptop that I can put a gpu into the dvd drive slot. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
Looking for a laptop to be as modular as possible. I wanted it to be possible to have a gpu to fit into the DVD drive. Found a Panasonic Toughbook 55, but its crazy expensive and its for corporate companies, so I cant find it at Walmart. Its also not the speediest so its mostly for business. Any suggestions?

iNeedy

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
I saw a review from LTT on YT for the Toughbook 55 and oh man I fell in love with it lol. I saw that it was cool to be able to fit a GPU into the dvd slot. Really, the modularity was just crazy enough to be replaceable for a gaming laptop. Plus, I have a budget of about 1100 US dollars, so I can’t go overboard. Also, the GPU will have a fan, so it will need a hole of some sort on the bottom under the DVD slot.

Yeah, I remembered that LTT video also. Panned down through their vids and finally found it, only to realize it was the exact same product you were talking about.

That modularity comes at a cost though. You're paying a HUGE price premium just for the ability. Not to mention the cost of the modules themselves. And you're relying on Panasonic to continue their contract for modules far into the future, or else you're just stuck with a 1 or 2 generation dead end. For your budget, that modularity premium is going to net you something so anemic to start with that you're only going to be driven to spend more and more to get it up to spec.

IMO, it's a novel idea (one that's been tossed around before), but it's just not worth it considering the almost non-existent size of the market. I hate to encourage the throw-away-society, but you're just much better off going that route.

If you want modularity, get a desktop. Maybe an Intel NUC 9 Extreme if you want something SUPER tiny. Although there too, you're paying a premium for size and modularity that's going to exceed your budget.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.