Wanted to look at my friends gtx 1060, took it out snd the plastic part of the pcie pins holder came off

Mantaliss

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
So I was going over to a friends place to look at his new graphics card... when I took it out, the plastic pcie piece came off. I tried straightening bent pcie pins the whole day but couldn't get the plastic to fit back on to the pins. So I decided to stick the gpu in without the plastic and turned the pc on. The graphics card fans wouldn't turn on so I pressed my fingers against the pins so that they were tight against the gpus gold plates. A spark flew off but it still kept running, but no display(probably from loose pins i hope) I got scared so I turned the pc off. then back on, the cpu fan was screaming, but the cpu wasnt hot where I had felt around the fan, the gpu fans were on including their lights but no display(again maybe due to loose pins) So now im giving my friend a new mobo so that we wouldnt have to deal with stupid pins, I just want to make sure that his gpu is fine, it was still running! the last time but I feel like maybe his mobo got messed up and resulted in speeding up fans? please help

Mantaliss

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Well Im sure the motherboard is messed up since the fans went max speed, but the gpu was still running as i could tell but we wont really know for sure since the pcie pins were twisted up so i have a spare motherboard with the same cpu socket.(accidentally bought it because I was new to pc building and I didnt know what sockets were) But I have another question...
IF the cpu was damaged and I put it in the new mobo could it damage the mobo too? I have a spare cpu(Accidentally bought for same reason as mobo)With different socket so should we buy a mobo for the spare cpu or test the cpu on the spare mobo

Mantaliss

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Well Im sure the motherboard is messed up since the fans went max speed, but the gpu was still running as i could tell but we wont really know for sure since the pcie pins were twisted up so i have a spare motherboard with the same cpu socket.(accidentally bought it because I was new to pc building and I didnt know what sockets were) But I have another question...
IF the cpu was damaged and I put it in the new mobo could it damage the mobo too? I have a spare cpu(Accidentally bought for same reason as mobo)With different socket so should we buy a mobo for the spare cpu or test the cpu on the spare mobo