[SOLVED] Wanting better FPS/performance

Aug 14, 2019
Trying to figure out what I should upgrade to get noticeable better frames other than my GPU (rtx 2070) I have a core i5 8400 2.8ghz and 16gb of gskillz ripjaws 3000mhz 2x8gb and a Samsung evo 860 500gb SSD. Someone help this is my first PC and have been doing a lot of research but am getting contradicting answers between more ram and better CPU I want to do both eventually but need to do little at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DUAL33s

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
If you want a noticeable increase in performance, I would go with upgrading the CPU. That 16gb Ripjaws kit should be more than enough to run Fortnite and PubG at 1080p

Reactions: Pdparke
Aug 14, 2019
Would that boost FPS a little, not really sure what core my motherboard can handle it’s kind of cheap apparently. ASRock z390 pro4 really want the i9 9900k but don’t know if that would be a good idea

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
According to the manufacturers website that motherboard is indeed "compadible" with the 9900k...now, whether or not it can push it to its full potential is another question. But as long as you don't plan to do any overclocking, I would assume that motherboard should be fine with the 9900k. And yes, you should see a very good boost in performance compared to the i5 you are currently running. This is assuming there are no other issues or bottlenecks in your system. But as far as I can tell, your other components (GPU, RAM, etc) should work fine with it as well. What power supply do you currently own?

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
BTW... here is a link to your motherboard manufacturers list of supported CPU's:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390M Pro4/index.asp#CPU

As you can see the 9900k is indeed on the list. So you should be good to go. Just make sure your power supply can handle that 9900k/rtx 2070 combo and I would also consider upgrading that motherboard in the future, in order to push the 9900k to its full potential :)

Solution
Aug 14, 2019
It’s an NZXT E650 Gold digital psu. I also am using a cryorig h7 to cool right now I’d probably need to step that up. I read it works ok with the 9900k without overclock but I’m kind of new to this but enjoy learning about everything

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Hmmm....thats a pretty decent power supply, especially the gold rating and I would assume it is probably enough to run those components, but honestly I would do some research and verify that 650w is enough for that setup. I personally use a 650w power supply on my Ryzen 2600x / RTX 2060 system and it's more than enough. But I'd have to do some digging to verify exactly how much power you will need.

I'm more familiar with AMD parts than Intel, so I can't say for 100% certainty that your PSU will work. But if i HAD to guess, I would say it is probably enough. But again, just like the motherboard, I would consider upgrading in the future. Just shop carefully and definitely do some more research before pulling the trigger. There are actually other less expensive intel CPU's you could go with and still get a good boost in performance. The 9900k is a killer chip, but it may also be a bit overkill for the gaming you plan to do with it.

Just shop carefully. Do a bit of research. And make sure you are comfortable with the parts you choose before you finalize the purchase. Good luck!

Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated I definitely will and I’m between that one and the i7 9700k. But thanks a lot for the information