[SOLVED] Wanting to get a new cpu and I need to know which ones are compatible for my motherboard

Mar 7, 2020
I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU and GPU for Doom Eternal, and I wondering what CPUs are compatible with Z170A Gaming M5 (MS-7977). My current CPU is an i5-6600K and I'm just wondering which i7s are compatible with that motherboard's chipset. This is the first time I'm not starting from scratch for a build and I just wanted to make sure I buy the right thing.

Solution
For ryzen you'll want 3000 or better. Youd still see a gain on the intel side going with similar speed. On my 7700 system I got fairly large gains going from 2133 to the xmp profile of 3000. Gains were across the board. Cinebench, 3dmark as well as actual gaming.

The issue with this upgrade is the cost. The used market on the k sku 67/7700 is crazy. $250 plus easily, unless you can find a crazy deal. The non k sku are slightly less, but still overpriced for such an old cpu. Youd still be upgrading to a 4c cpu vs ryzen with at least 6. And new prices are higher than used for the i7.

And your gains will NOT be worth the cost. I did 6600k to 7700, but I got really lucky. My work was recycling pcs and they happened to be 7700 based, so...
6700,6700k,7700 and 7700k. But honestly at the prices used cpus go for, a full core upgrade is usually cheaper. Moving to ryzen 3600 is only maybe 50ish more expensive.

And depending on current ram speed, could be less. What ram are you on? If it's at least 16gb of 3000mhz or faster, you can reuse it.

Mar 7, 2020
6700,6700k,7700 and 7700k. But honestly at the prices used cpus go for, a full core upgrade is usually cheaper. Moving to ryzen 3600 is only maybe 50ish more expensive.

And depending on current ram speed, could be less. What ram are you on? If it's at least 16gb of 3000mhz or faster, you can reuse it.
2133 MHz and 16 GB. I'd rather not rebuild if I can avoid it, but I probably need new RAM too.

For ryzen you'll want 3000 or better. Youd still see a gain on the intel side going with similar speed. On my 7700 system I got fairly large gains going from 2133 to the xmp profile of 3000. Gains were across the board. Cinebench, 3dmark as well as actual gaming.

The issue with this upgrade is the cost. The used market on the k sku 67/7700 is crazy. $250 plus easily, unless you can find a crazy deal. The non k sku are slightly less, but still overpriced for such an old cpu. Youd still be upgrading to a 4c cpu vs ryzen with at least 6. And new prices are higher than used for the i7.

And your gains will NOT be worth the cost. I did 6600k to 7700, but I got really lucky. My work was recycling pcs and they happened to be 7700 based, so free cpu for me. Would I have been as happy with the upgrade at a price point of near enough $300, absolutely not.

If you can a deal, do it. But I wouldn't pay more than $100 or $150.

Do plenty of research on this upgrade and consider all options. But from my personal experience, if you're going to pay that much, do a core upgrade.

Another note, if you do go the i7 route, make sure your bios is updated. 6th gen should drop right in, but 7th gen will require an update.

One other thing to think about is the fact that doom 2016 would basically run On a potato. So if the specs are similar, and your current hardware is up to running doom, I doubt eternal will give you issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Mar 7, 2020

And your gains will NOT be worth the cost. I did 6600k to 7700, but I got really lucky. My work was recycling pcs and they happened to be 7700 based, so free cpu for me. Would I have been as happy with the upgrade at a price point of near enough $300, absolutely not.

If you can a deal, do it. But I wouldn't pay more than $100 or $150.

Do plenty of research on this upgrade and consider all options. But from my personal experience, if you're going to pay that much, do a core upgrade.

Another note, if you do go the i7 route, make sure your bios is updated. 6th gen should drop right in, but 7th gen will require an update.

One other thing to think about is the fact that doom 2016 would basically run On a potato. So if the specs are similar, and your current hardware is up to running doom, I doubt eternal will give you issues.
If nothing else, my specs fall into the minumum for it; and it's entirely possible they're overestimating what it needs like most devs seem to. At least I know what I'll be doing for my birthday at least.

What kind of price is i7-6600k used in your area? Thing is your motherboard supports overclocking so if you get good deal might be absolutely worth it.

i7-7700k is like oc:d i7-6700k so your better off going with way cheaper i7-6700k and oc it yourself.

Buying used CPU is usually fine unless its very old(+5years or more)

You forgot to say what psu and gpu you have?

Mar 7, 2020
What kind of price is i7-6600k used in your area? Thing is your motherboard supports overclocking so if you get good deal might be absolutely worth it.

i7-7700k is like oc:d i7-6700k so your better off going with way cheaper i7-6700k and oc it yourself.

Buying used CPU is usually fine unless its very old(+5years or more)

You forgot to say what psu and gpu you have?
1070 and a modular evga that I've probably lost the cables for. Probably has more than enough for anything provided I can find the cables. I can't any 6700Ks on craigslist, but there are bids on ebay for the 120-150 range.

genz

Distinguished
Drop the mobo and get an 8 core Ryzen. Everything else you have will work as a drop in replacement.

Your mobo basically supports all the 4-core Intel models, but as soon as Intel started putting true quad core i3s on the market, and made the i7s 6+ cores (8th gen) the power demands became too much. If you want to upgrade you won't find much gains without ditching the motherboard. It simply can't provide the power to the CPU.