Wanting to get audio from computer to TV via HDMI

tojohnson78

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Gretings,

I need some expert advice on how to get audio to my LCD TV from my Dell desktop. The Dell has a ATI Radeon HD 4800 series (a bit outdated, I know) card. To get video to my TV, I have a DVI to HDMI converter, then HDMI runs to my TV. From what I understand, this would not be a contraint on geting audio to play from he TV. I had someone tell me that I needed a new video card and someone told me its just a cable that runs from the sound card to the video card then the audio would come through the TV. I am willing to invest in a new video card (as my gaming experience would also benefit), but if all I need is an inexpensive cord, I would prefer that route. Can someone point me in the right direction and/or give me some advise on what the best thing to do to get the audio for my computer to play on my TV?

Thanks!! :hello:

JuniperSprouts

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Hi,

I hope that I am not too late. Anyhow, your video card's DVI can not carry any sound signal. The DVI to HDMI is great for video.

For sound:
1. Headphone jack to stereo cable
-plug headphone jack (3.5mm) into headphone jack (normally light green in colour) on the PC
-plug stereo (aka "composite" "red/white RCA plugs")
(example cord: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ft-Stereo-3-5mm-Cable-1-8-Headphone-PC-dual-2-RCA-/370457687050)

or

2. Male to Male headphone jack
-You can do this if their is a headphone jack on the back of your TV (sometimes called "PC Audio")

or

3. Digital audio from either:
A. SPDIF (S/PDIF aka Toslink)
B. Digital Coaxial
-Your computer may or may not have a digital audio OUT. If it does, just run a cable to your TV. You can buy a sound card that has digital audio if your motherboard does not have one (there are plenty of PCI & PCI-Express sound cards with digital OUT...)