[SOLVED] Wanting to move Router to my room

Aug 22, 2021
Hello, about a year ago you guys helped me build my pc and now I'm asking for help with my router.

Context I just moved in.
Excuse my lack of knowledge and words for some items.

So there is a cable box cable as what I can describe twisted onto the bottom of the router and that is twisted into the wall making it run.
Now I want to take that router and move it to my room the problem is, there is no place to twist it into the wall other than the living room (all the rooms are super far from the living room) and unfortunately, my 5.0 speed only gets 2 bars from my room and my 2.4 gets 4 but drops to 2 and gets a 24% packet loss in about every 10 seconds with some ping spikes. I want to either move it to my room or a room closer or get an alternative to be able to use it closer to me via an adapter of some sort

Solution
So the best bet for you is something called powerline adapters. It uses your power circuits to run wired ethernet over it (cool, huh?). And the best part is it literally starts working 5 minutes after you plug it in.

What's even better is that you should be able to walk into Best Buy and get a set for a little over $100:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-powerline-2000-extra-outlet/6203586.p?skuId=6203586

You buy this, go home, open them up, plug one into a power outlet near the router, use the supplied ethernet cable to connect from one of the router lan ports to one of the powerline ethernet ports. Then go to your room, plug in the other powerline adapter to power and connect the second supplied ethernet cable to the...
So the best bet for you is something called powerline adapters. It uses your power circuits to run wired ethernet over it (cool, huh?). And the best part is it literally starts working 5 minutes after you plug it in.

What's even better is that you should be able to walk into Best Buy and get a set for a little over $100:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-powerline-2000-extra-outlet/6203586.p?skuId=6203586

You buy this, go home, open them up, plug one into a power outlet near the router, use the supplied ethernet cable to connect from one of the router lan ports to one of the powerline ethernet ports. Then go to your room, plug in the other powerline adapter to power and connect the second supplied ethernet cable to the powerline adapter and your computer. Disable your computer's wifi and then do a speedtest and you should be done!

Powerlines can hit about 300Mbs between them so as long as your Internet speeds are less than that you won't notice anything slower, and your packet loss will be gone, and you'll have improved latency too.

Reactions: FoxxSVR
Solution
Aug 22, 2021

You buy this, go home, open them up, plug one into a power outlet near the router, use the supplied ethernet cable to connect from one of the router lan ports to one of the powerline ethernet ports. Then go to your room, plug in the other powerline adapter to power and connect the second supplied ethernet cable to the powerline adapter and your computer. Disable your computer's wifi and then do a speedtest and you should be done!

Powerlines can hit about 300Mbs between them so as long as your Internet speeds are less than that you won't notice anything slower, and your packet loss will be gone, and you'll have improved latency too.

Thank you im going to wait for more replies but this def seems like a great idea and an awesome thing overall if nothing else ill def use this. but how does it convert the same speed and better packets aswell as ping if its wireless as well. i get that one is connected via ethernet but the other is wireless connected to my pc.