Wanting to remove Windows 7 OS from secondary drive, but keep all files

originalwill

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I have an SSD with Windows installed and some small programs. I also have everything I need setup on my secondary hdd. When I got the SSD I just freshly installed windows and redownloaded some key things, then if I want to use old software or games, I redirect everything from my hdd to play/use.

The thing is, when I bootup my pc, it asks me which Windows 7 to boot and its annoying. It shows:

Which operating system are you trying to boot up?

Windows 7 - Select
Windows 7 - Select

How do I just remove the OS from my secondary drive without loosing all the file locations (Programs(x86) for steam needs to be intact etc..)

Solution
Simply save all of the files to an external drive (flash, HDD, etc.) and then delete that partition to ensure that 2nd OS is gone. Then create another partition with the HDD and download the saved files to it.

TheTemest

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Simply save all of the files to an external drive (flash, HDD, etc.) and then delete that partition to ensure that 2nd OS is gone. Then create another partition with the HDD and download the saved files to it.

Solution
Hi

Unplug the sata cables to the HDD

try to boot up off SSD
If you have any problems (highly likely)
then boot of Windows 7 DVD (or USB) and let Windows repair your startup files

If no problems found then there are programs designed to edit bcd store and remove or change entries in start up menu

Vista boot pro ( V3.3 is still available and free)
This also works on Win 7

you can pay for current version which works with 7, 8, 10

or use the command line microsoft tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2676-bcdedit-how-use.html

Then re connect HDD and on first startup go into UEFI (or BIOS) and ensure system set to boot from SSD

regards
Mike Barnes

monogamism

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Yea, that's the logical solution. But isn't there an uninstaller that simply removes all of Windows 7 OS? "Garbage in; garbage out"...?