Wanting to run 4 displays at 1920x1080 - Possible?

HardHitter2k14

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hello All,

I'm trying to take advantage of my multiple monitor setup at work.

My laptop is a HP Elitebook 8460P which is obviously a dated laptop. There is currently a hardware refresh happening where we can choose from different HP laptops (HP 840 G1 and 820 G1). They all have a Intel HD 4400 GPU.

Regardless, I purchased a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition display port (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...th2go/digital/) which turns 3 displays into a single large display. So I'm able to work on 4 active displays

Display 1: Laptop display
Display 2: 24" Monitor
Display 3: 24" Monitor
Display 4: 23" Monitor

I can display across all 4 displays but the resolution on 3 external displays are poor.

Is there anything I can do to make the displays run at a total of 5760x1080? (1920x1080 * 3)

For example, at my home office, I use a total of 3 active displays

Laptop Display
24" Monitor
24" Monitor

The 24" monitors are able to run at 1920x1080 each by having a VGA to USB display adapter and then the other monitor being a direct connection to the laptop VGA port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
According to the specs on the Matrox device you have, it should be able to do what you want. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital/

Try contacting Matrox support as there are also some notes to that resolution
1 This mode runs at 50Hz which may be incompatible with some displays. Verify with your display vendor for compatibility.
2 TripleHead2Go model, OS and system dependent. Please see system compatibility information to verify the maximum resolution supported by your system.

Your best bet to get such a setup woking well is to run a workstation class laptop like the HP Z models or get a desktop with a separate video card. Or use the same type of external USB video cards as you do on the other laptop.

HardHitter2k14

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

I think to be honest, the limitation is my laptop's GPU. For example, when I go to their compatibility site

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/compatibility/gxm/

And select the Triplehead2go Digital Edition, Windows 7, Notebook, Intel, HD4000, I get a max resolution of 3840x1024 (3x 1280x1024).

I don't think the laptops my work offers a GPU that is able to support what I'm looking to get so I'm trying to figure out if there is an alternative solution.

You did mention that I could use the same type of external USB video card as I'm doing at my home. Will that work?

The USB video device has it's own cheap video card inside it, it will be slow but since it runs off it's own video card it will not be limited by the onboard video card of the laptop. You can use those to add another monitor to just about anything.

Solution

HardHitter2k14

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

So if I buy 3 of the j5create jua210 adapters, I can run all 3 monitors + my laptop display?

Don't know how well 3 of those would work, I have never run more than one plus the onboard video and a dock. That should be enough to get you 2 monitors plus the screen. You may want to contact the USB video card vendor and find out how many can be run at one time.