Wanting to start a Custom PC Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypto6

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I have no idea how to start a business regarding custom computers. I work in retail selling them but I don't know the analytics or what goes on behind the scenes to have those specific computers at my store.

Anyway, I was just going to start out on EBay and then if everything goes smoothly- start up my own web page and go from there. But I do have some questions:

I want my first computer I make for the business a little more on the cheap end. I don't know what the majority of people want more- a powerful gaming computer or a standard use computer. I didn't want to spend $1,000 building a gaming computer just yet in case I can't sell it, I'd be out by $1,000. But if the business was going particular well- then I'd risk it. I'm only looking at spending no more than $600 right now for the first few PCs... just because I don't know what the majority of people want and what is more likely to sell.

I was going to fully install Windows 8 on them, and just go over some diagnostics to make sure the machines are running smoothly before selling them. I know a little about PC repair, and I'm sure if I start my own website- it will be essential to know troubleshooting more, but as of right now through EBay, I don't really think its essential I brush up on it. I'll be sure the product is 100% fully functional the first time.

Anyway, could use some hints and tips. Don't know what I am getting into or what to expect. I need to be really careful on the first PC build just so if it doesn't sell- I'm not out by a lot of money. I don't know what sells better honestly: A gaming computer or home computer that are both custom built. Also, how much should I jump the price by? I don't want to come off as a rip off and over charge, but I do need to make some money off of the sale.

Solution
Frankly there is almost no money in custom pc business unless you sell thousands of units like cyberpowerpc or ibuypc etc.

What you see way more of is pc repair businesses that also build PCs.
That is why most of the PC shops of the early/mid 2000s are all out of business.

Most people that just want a PC are going to buy the OEM computers because there is a brand they kind of trust.
You will never build the $500 dell pc for cheaper then $500 because they get a much better discount on windows for their large quantity.

I don't wish to stomp on our dreams, but I don't want you to loose your shirt either.
I think you need to be realistic, and realize there is near zero chance this makes you any real money, while giving you a huge amount of hassle, risk, and costing you time. If you want to make money with computers, there is far more money repairing, and removing viruses, and such than building them.

So you want to sell them on ebay, well by the time you pay the fees, and paypal fees, they are automatically going to take about 12%. You also need to be prepared to lose money, as not all buyers are on the up and up, and all it would take is someone to file a dispute, and paypal will reverse the charge. You may win a dispute, but you won't have the money until the matter is settled. Once you start marking things up 40-50% to cover these fees and your time, you are not likely to be competitive with the OEMs. Especially on lower end machines. Not to mention with the OEMs you get nice long warranties and such. Also don't forget about support. Your average user is not smart, and you will be expected to fix their problems, that they create.

I did this locally for many years, ended up building at least a PC a month, and for someone just doing it independently that's not bad. However the real money was setting up PCs, repairing them, etc. Not to mention there is no shortage of people screwing up their PCs needing help.

Even now when people ask, for most people I tell them they are just better off buying a PC. It used to be you save a bunch of money building them, now not so much. The sector of the market that wants custom PCs tends to build them. Whether they have the ability to or not (one browse through these forums will show that.).

Don't get me wrong, it'd be a great job if you can make it work, but odds are it won't add up to any real profit. There is just too much competition already, a lot of risk, and not much reward for this type of venture.

Please prove me wrong.

You would need to put money into this. Like seriously. Starting a business needs time, money, and willing people. 1) You do need a product to sell first, and that is a bit of money you need the business to start. 2) What is your plan when you go big? You got nobody to setup crap. You need to hire. 3) Judging by what you write, you DO need extra research before you start anything. It can be a success of life or the worst failure, because you have problems setting up stuff.

Also, you can image computers through Windows Deployment Kit...

Frankly there is almost no money in custom pc business unless you sell thousands of units like cyberpowerpc or ibuypc etc.

What you see way more of is pc repair businesses that also build PCs.
That is why most of the PC shops of the early/mid 2000s are all out of business.

Most people that just want a PC are going to buy the OEM computers because there is a brand they kind of trust.
You will never build the $500 dell pc for cheaper then $500 because they get a much better discount on windows for their large quantity.

I don't wish to stomp on our dreams, but I don't want you to loose your shirt either.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
Unless you become an authorized reseller for the hardware you would be selling system with little to no warranty unless you RMA the parts for them. Most hardware that you by retail has non transferable warranties, so if you buy the part and resell it and are not a an authorized reseller they can't use the warranty. Not having much if any warranty makes the system a harder sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.