Wanting to update my old house computer to a gaming pc...

woolfeldon81

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I am a teen and I am on a budget first of all. My parents got a new computer and were geting rid of are old one. So I took the old one because I want to game. I want to upgrade the computer to at least a pc that can play on high or medium setting on all the new games that are coming out.
So Specs Are:
Case: Dell Studio XPS 8100
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
Memory Hard Drive: 2 1TB
Ram: 8gb ddr3 (I believe that's what it is.)
Motherboard: Dell Studio XPS 8100 System Motherboard 0G3HR7

If you need anything else, please ask.
Please tell me how I can make this a gaming pc.

Thank You

Solution
GPU prices are still up due to cryptocurrency miners buying them all. You could normally get a GTX 1070 or 1070 Ti for that price. But you'll have to settle for a GTX 1060 6GB right now. The 1060 is still a good card for high settings on all the newest games at 1080p resolution.

I would also upgrade the power supply. From what I've gathered it is a standard 12V ATX. I've also added the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC. It's short and compact, but comes with a beefy cooler. I'm not sure how long of a GPU the Dell case can support.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($384.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+...
GPU prices are still up due to cryptocurrency miners buying them all. You could normally get a GTX 1070 or 1070 Ti for that price. But you'll have to settle for a GTX 1060 6GB right now. The 1060 is still a good card for high settings on all the newest games at 1080p resolution.

I would also upgrade the power supply. From what I've gathered it is a standard 12V ATX. I've also added the EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC. It's short and compact, but comes with a beefy cooler. I'm not sure how long of a GPU the Dell case can support.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($384.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $434.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-09 21:03 EST-0500

Solution
Upgrading the case might not be doable with the Dell motherboard. They usually have mounting holes specific to the Dell case. It's not worth buying another motherboard that is so old. I'd say stick to the Dell case and you can measure inside yourself to find what GPU length will fit, and then pick your favorite GTX 1060 6GB that will fit.