Wanting to upgrade Athlon x3 II 455

rally187

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
A month back I made a budget gaming rig (amd) and im actually impressed but turns out i got a lil bit more coming back on my taxes... if only i would have known (would have went intel) but anyway i have an athlon x3 II 455 and im getting solid FPS on skyrim on ultra 50ish. but is there a cpu that i could upgrade to that would give me a significant boost? or would i benefit from a better gpu?

System build

Athlon II x3 455
Biostar a880g+
8gbs ddr3 amd entertainment 1333
PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1gb ddr5

Solution
I'd suggest disabling the 4th core if you're going to overclock and your main purpose is gaming. On average, you get a higher overclock out of the x3's without the 4th core enabled, which will help you far more than an active 4th core.
Was your motherboard able to unlock the 4th core? Try that, then try overclocking (although I have a rig with a biostar A880GZ) and there is no way to change the reference clock, so you might not be able to overclock, the only way to OC is with a black edition CPU on my board. You could spend your money on a better GPU if you need an immediate upgrade, that is where you will gain more FPS.

rally187

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for the replies! I was actually able to unlock the 4th core. I purchased this motherboard and cpu because on the newegg reviews they said they were able to oc to 4.0 ghz but to be honest i have no clue how to overclock. Would overclocking be beneficial as far as gaming goes? Im worried that my cpu is bottle necking my current gpu so i dont want to upgrade my gpu if thats the case. what do you guys think?

I'd suggest disabling the 4th core if you're going to overclock and your main purpose is gaming. On average, you get a higher overclock out of the x3's without the 4th core enabled, which will help you far more than an active 4th core.

Solution

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Yep, it is easy to overclock start by raising the FBS to 250, then lower HT and NB multiplier to 8x and then the ram multiplier to 5.33. If that works then, I can help you more, I have mine at 3.85Ghz no voltage increase and Ram at 1520mhz, I have gotten it stable to 4.0Ghz but with voltage raise to 1.45 which I prefer not to. WEI went from 6.9 to 7.1 on CPU.