Question Wanting to upgrade, do I need it? Would I be better with a more "server" based rack System?

bennyd

Honorable
Apr 5, 2016
Current System:
7 Years old
ASRock z97 Extreme4
i7 4790k
32GB DDR3 Ram (not ECC)
Using iGPU
1 TB SSD Cache
28 TB HDD(various 2-8TB Drives)
650 watt Seasonic PSU(forget exact model)
Fractal Design Define R5 Case

I should mention that some reasons for thinking about upgrading are that the last week or so I've been having some weird issues occurring that I could just be being paranoid about but there was a random reboot without power being disturbed, no OS updating or anything and I was getting some false readings it seems in my opinion, things like telling me my CPU is overheating and it's throttling, but I changed out 2 cooling methods with the same results, no noticeable warmth anywhere on the mobo or anything to tell me that it's really warm.. 78-80C is what the temps were saying... I think I'd like to upgrade but unsure of which direction I SHOULD GO .

Plex, 7 users max
Dockers:
Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, SabNZB, Hydra, Jacket, DuckDNS, LetsEncrypt, bitwarden, tautulli, privoxy, ombi and
will be adding quite a few others such as Tdarr for re-encoding my libraries and what-not

Future use if possible, I'd like to be able to have some a self hosted game server running(you know like a conan exiles or just some future game that will support self-hosted) for maybe 6-8 users.

Do I NEED to upgrade? SHOULD I upgrade for my needs? Should I go for a rack mount dual xeon 2620 v2 setup? HELP PLEASE

I have a budget of about $500,
I am obviously planning to keep the HDD's, SSD, PSU/CASE all if possible. I can currently house 8x HDD's, but I am going to have to add in a SATA controller. If I am going to switch to a more server style, I would rather have maybe a 12x 3.5" bay 3U rack. Noise isn't an issue, it can be kept in my garage/basement.

I've been beating my head off the wall for about a month now, I just feel what I currently have is just enough and won't be enough if I add in things like Tdarr for re-encoding and whatever else I may find useful down the road to have running, nextcloud, things like that.

Sorry for the long post and not so good presentation.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS