WAP54G - Excellent!

Well, im very impressed. I've just got hold of a WAP54G, a Linksys
Wireless-G Access Point and appropriate PCMCIA card for the laptop, and
is reporting that its running along nicely at a full 54Mbps.

Well, Ok, that's the reported speed, and pings to the laptop are 1ms,
but its still allowing full speed downloading over the ADSL connection
which at the end of the day, is the most important thing for my father.

Took less than half an hour to install as well!

I was a bit perplexed at first when I couldn't ping the laptop, but then
realised Norton was running on it. Also perplexed though, because my new
DHCP server running on FEDORA has decided to give out the last IP
address in Range! Had to start filling up those PTR records on DNS for
50 computers (range 50 to 100). There's only 2 clients on the network too!

Im a little dismayed to see the WLAN Acct light flashing so much though.
Hrm.

Cya
Simon

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:42:37 +0100, Simon Dean spoketh

>Well, im very impressed. I've just got hold of a WAP54G, a Linksys
>Wireless-G Access Point and appropriate PCMCIA card for the laptop, and
>is reporting that its running along nicely at a full 54Mbps.
>
>Well, Ok, that's the reported speed, and pings to the laptop are 1ms,
>but its still allowing full speed downloading over the ADSL connection
>which at the end of the day, is the most important thing for my father.
>
>Took less than half an hour to install as well!
>
>I was a bit perplexed at first when I couldn't ping the laptop, but then
>realised Norton was running on it. Also perplexed though, because my new
>DHCP server running on FEDORA has decided to give out the last IP
>address in Range! Had to start filling up those PTR records on DNS for
>50 computers (range 50 to 100). There's only 2 clients on the network too!
>
>Im a little dismayed to see the WLAN Acct light flashing so much though.
>Hrm.
>
>Cya
>Simon

Don't worry too much about the WLAN light. It's flash constantly if
there's any other 2.4 GHz equipment in your neighborhood. If your WAP
has a LAN light, that's what you got to look for. If the LAN light
flashes, then it's possible that there's some traffic going from the LAN
to the WLAN (or vice versa), but if only one flashes, then it's almost
certainly just noise.

Make sure to secure it. Use WPA-PSK or even better, WPA-Radius...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Lars M. Hansen wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:42:37 +0100, Simon Dean spoketh
>

>>Well, im very impressed. I've just got hold of a WAP54G, a Linksys
>>Wireless-G Access Point and appropriate PCMCIA card for the laptop, and
>>is reporting that its running along nicely at a full 54Mbps.
>>
>>Well, Ok, that's the reported speed, and pings to the laptop are 1ms,
>>but its still allowing full speed downloading over the ADSL connection
>>which at the end of the day, is the most important thing for my father.
>>
>>Took less than half an hour to install as well!
>>
>>I was a bit perplexed at first when I couldn't ping the laptop, but then
>>realised Norton was running on it. Also perplexed though, because my new
>>DHCP server running on FEDORA has decided to give out the last IP
>>address in Range! Had to start filling up those PTR records on DNS for
>>50 computers (range 50 to 100). There's only 2 clients on the network too!
>>
>>Im a little dismayed to see the WLAN Acct light flashing so much though.
>>Hrm.
>>
>>Cya
>>Simon
>

> Don't worry too much about the WLAN light. It's flash constantly if
> there's any other 2.4 GHz equipment in your neighborhood. If your WAP
> has a LAN light, that's what you got to look for. If the LAN light
> flashes, then it's possible that there's some traffic going from the LAN
> to the WLAN (or vice versa), but if only one flashes, then it's almost
> certainly just noise.
>
> Make sure to secure it. Use WPA-PSK or even better, WPA-Radius...

Those sound like Windows tools. I gotta find something for Linux
fortunately. I've seen bits to do with FreeRADIUS. might give that ago.
Thanks for the tips.

Cya
Simon

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:46:20 +0100, Simon Dean spoketh

>> Make sure to secure it. Use WPA-PSK or even better, WPA-Radius...
>>

>Those sound like Windows tools. I gotta find something for Linux
>fortunately. I've seen bits to do with FreeRADIUS. might give that ago.
>Thanks for the tips.

Actually, they're methods for encryption and authentication, and not
specific to any OS.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

> Actually, they're methods for encryption and authentication, and not
> specific to any OS.

That'll teach me to trust Google. Stands to reason I guess though there
will be more Windows tools for a particular encryption and
authentication method, and those results would appear first.

I'll take another look though.

Cheers
Simn