WapTunnel Down Indefinitely

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On May 1st WapTunnel has posted a statement that they have lost their ISP.
They also say they MAY be back in June. If they do they will have a new IP
address which will require reprogramming of everyones phone. Lets hope they
make it back. They saved alot of folks alot of money. Hats off to them and
THANKS AGAIN!!

Source was the WAPTUNNEL Forum on YAHOO

Verizon Users:

Try Mobileweb4u.com, its kind of a hassle to get working correctly but very
affordable and fast. I ended up just going for Verizon/MSN Mobile web. It
does everything correctly and easily.

Too bad about Wapptunnel. They should charge a little something next time
they come up for air.

tj

In alt.cellular PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
> On May 1st WapTunnel has posted a statement that they have lost their ISP.
> They also say they MAY be back in June. If they do they will have a new IP
> address which will require reprogramming of everyones phone. Lets hope they
> make it back. They saved alot of folks alot of money. Hats off to them and
> THANKS AGAIN!!

I'd be willing to work with them if I can find out who runs the site.

On 2004-05-02, Tyrone Jackson <tyronjj@hecklers.com> wrote:
> Verizon Users:
>
> Try Mobileweb4u.com, its kind of a hassle to get working correctly but very
> affordable and fast. I ended up just going for Verizon/MSN Mobile web. It
> does everything correctly and easily.
>
> Too bad about Wapptunnel. They should charge a little something next time
> they come up for air.

If people have access to a linux machine, you can also run Kannel from
www.kannel.org. Thats what I've been doing, since waptunnel's availability
has been so spotty.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

>If people have access to a linux machine, you can also run Kannel from
>www.kannel.org. Thats what I've been doing, since waptunnel's availability
>has been so spotty.

According to their site, Kannel will also work on Windows machines,
but requires Cygwin.

Some months ago I tried compiling Kannel in XP with mingw, no go.
Never did try it with Cygwin myself, don't see why it wouldn't work
though.

--
Tashfeen Bhimdi

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steven,
If you are talking about supporting a Public WAP gateway there is several
programs out there for FREE. In fact you could probably have a gateway up in
30 minutes +/-. As long as you have a dedicated IP your ready to give to the
world. I had a site that someone had posted last time WAp tunnel went down.
ill look for it. But Im sure you know how to go about it should you dewsire
to proceed.

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> In alt.cellular PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
> > On May 1st WapTunnel has posted a statement that they have lost their
ISP.
> > They also say they MAY be back in June. If they do they will have a new
IP
> > address which will require reprogramming of everyones phone. Lets hope
they
> > make it back. They saved alot of folks alot of money. Hats off to them
and
> > THANKS AGAIN!!
>
> I'd be willing to work with them if I can find out who runs the site.
>
> --
> JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, Apple Valley, CA PGP:
0xE3AE35ED
sjsobol@JustThe.net
> Domain Names, $9.95/yr, 24x7 service: http://DomainNames.JustThe.net/
> "someone once called me a sofa, but i didn't feel compelled to rush out
and buy
> slip covers." -adam brower * Hiroshima '45, Chernobyl '86, Windows
98/2000/2003

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In alt.cellular PDA Man <pda@man.com> wrote:
> Steven,
> If you are talking about supporting a Public WAP gateway there is several
> programs out there for FREE. In fact you could probably have a gateway up in
> 30 minutes +/-. As long as you have a dedicated IP your ready to give to the
> world. I had a site that someone had posted last time WAp tunnel went down.
> ill look for it. But Im sure you know how to go about it should you dewsire
> to proceed.

Yes. I've even downloaded Kannel, and I have a server colocated at a facility
in Ohio that can provide bandwidth. I just haven't really tested anything yet.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I would imagine though, that there will be a lot of bandwidth to do this so,
make sure you have at least a dedicated T-1 just for this.

;-)

Scotty

On 2004-05-03, Tashfeen Bhimdi <tbhimdi@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote:
>>If people have access to a linux machine, you can also run Kannel from
>>www.kannel.org. Thats what I've been doing, since waptunnel's availability
>>has been so spotty.
>

> According to their site, Kannel will also work on Windows machines,
> but requires Cygwin.
>
> Some months ago I tried compiling Kannel in XP with mingw, no go.
> Never did try it with Cygwin myself, don't see why it wouldn't work
> though.

The only problem I had with Kannel wasnt due to the program, but
rather the OpenWave browser on my phone. My Kannel machine was on
a local network in my apartment, at 192.168.1.5. My phone didnt
like hitting the.address.to.my.wap.tunnel.com and have Kannel respond
"Ok, but my address is REALLY 192.168.1.5..." so it took me a while
to find someone whose linux box had an routable IP for me to run it on

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

On 2004-05-03, Scott Nelson - Wash DC <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:
> I would imagine though, that there will be a lot of bandwidth to do this so,
> make sure you have at least a dedicated T-1 just for this.

Alls cool as long as you dont share it :) my kannel runs out of
california. i use ti maybe once a month, when im stuck someplace, and
want to check something. Ive probably transferred less than 200KB
of data since ive started using it 3 months ago

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.data,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Sorry for jumping into the middle of your thread but I need some
information & I hope someone on this ng can possibly help me.

1) What does CDMA stand for.
2) Is it different to GSM
3) Is there a generic CDMA system description for the Networks in India.
4) I have to source 10000's of handsets for India and "my man" is on
holiday - I need to know the spec of the systems in use in India ASAP.

TIA

Mark

"Mark A. Jones" wrote:

> Sorry for jumping into the middle of your thread but I need some
> information & I hope someone on this ng can possibly help me.
>
> 1) What does CDMA stand for.
> 2) Is it different to GSM
> 3) Is there a generic CDMA system description for the Networks in India.
> 4) I have to source 10000's of handsets for India and "my man" is on
> holiday - I need to know the spec of the systems in use in India ASAP.

If you have to ask, I'd suggest waiting 'til "your man" returns!

Larry

"Mark A. Jones" wrote:

> Sorry for jumping into the middle of your thread but I need
> some information & I hope someone on this ng can possibly help
> me.

It would have been better to start your own thread.

> 1) What does CDMA stand for.

Code Division Multiple Access.

> 2) Is it different to GSM

Yes. "GSM" stands for Global System for Mobiles (and once meant
for Group Special Mobile). GSM uses a combination of TDMA (Time
Division Multiple Access) and FDMA (Frequency Division Multiple
Access).

> 3) Is there a generic CDMA system description for the
> Networks in India.
> 4) I have to source 10000's of handsets for India and "my
> man" is on holiday - I need to know the spec of the systems in
> use in India ASAP.

You could try Reliance Infocomm:
http://www.relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/html/whyrim/whyrim_nextgen.html

John