http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=324&page=1&cat=

[I'm supposed to be type ESTJ]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg wrote:
> In article <1112345491.074816.92940@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
>
> > [I'm supposed to be type ESTJ]
>
> Gee, it says I'm the "nurturer of harmony" type. Can we conclude,
> therefore, that this portion of the test is pure, unadulterated
batshit?

hm, every test you take indicates you're a hippy love&peace type of guy
- coincidence ??? :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg wrote:

> It seems to me there's two possible explanations:

> (1) I just can't hide from my essential nature.
> (2) These "personality tests" are roughly as accurate as random
chance.

Just yanking your chain a bit :)

> And I'm not sure what a "personality type" tells us with respect to
> wargamers; I've known wargamers who were the "hail fellow well-met"
> sort, and wargamers who were "mama's little Poindexter" and wargamers

> who make R. Lee Ermey in FULL METAL JACKET look like a pussy.
>
> <shrug>

True, but just for argument's sake let's say this "study" indicates
that a majority of wargamers extrovert and social wouldn't that lead to
the conclusion that incorporating pbem and internet play in wargames is
a must ? or the reverse if the majority is introvert that a good AI is
more essential ?
That a majority with good analytical no-nonsense skills might like a
clean, crips interface over visual effects ? That a majority with
technical skills will have no probem with web-ordering and direct
download ?

Just thinking/guessing out loud here - I'm no psychologists so I'm
probably dead wrong :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <1112354393.161089.291290@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you've got 15 minutes to spare ...
>
> http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=324&page=1&cat=
>
> [I'm supposed to be type ESTJ]

Hmm, it said I'm an INTJ type. Reading the two descriptions of that
type, I was struck by how simplistic and scattershot their definitions
seemed, but I suppose that's a good summary of the 'science' of
psychological testing! ;-)

Hi

> If you've got 15 minutes to spare ...
>
> http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=324&page=1&cat=
>
> [I'm supposed to be type ESTJ]

What !! no mention of Miniature Wargaming !

I was an ISTJ

Interesting article if nothing else

No miniature wargaming indeed..............................

Cheers

Mike

Splendid

"Gary Barr" <sgt.steiner@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
>> If you've got 15 minutes to spare ...
>>
>> http://www.warfarehq.com/page_left_column.php?content=article_disp&p=324&page=1&cat=
>>
>> [I'm supposed to be type ESTJ]
>
> What !! no mention of Miniature Wargaming !
>
> I was an ISTJ

Me too.

> Interesting article if nothing else
>
> No miniature wargaming indeed..............................
>
> Cheers

Looking at the photo of the author's collection, does anyone else feel that
modern wargame boxes look 'cheap' in comparison to those of the 70s and 80s?

As a bit of wargaming corporate history, back in the late eighties or early
nineties almost everyone at SSI took the Myers-Briggs type indicator
profile. My wife did management training and she had given it to me (my wife
and I are exact opposite types on the scale). We had her come in and give it
to everyone at SSI and did an offsite to review the results. I'd say 90%+ of
the employees chose to participate. You should have seen the difference
between 2 groups that were asked to describe time. Given a marking pen and
clipboard with paper, the first 4 people had listed a ton of things like
minutes, seconds, time is money, etc. Another group that had not witnessed
the first group came in and when asked to do the same thing, spent 5 minutes
discussing the metaphysics of time. By the end of it, all they could agree
to write was that time was a concept and one person was still debating
whether they should put that down. Turns out the first group was weighted to
heavy S (Sensing) types and the other was weighted to heavy N (Intuitive)
types. All of us watching this were rolling on the floor in laughter by the
end of watching the second group. It was just amazing to most of us that
people could approach a seemingly simple task so differently. Sorry for the
off topic post, but when I started seeing those 4 letter types here the
memories came flooding back. I always thought that offsite was one of the
most enlightening things we did at SSI, at least it was for me.

> As a bit of wargaming corporate history, back in the late eighties or early
> nineties almost everyone at SSI took the Myers-Briggs type indicator
> profile. My wife did management training and she had given it to me (my wife
> and I are exact opposite types on the scale). We had her come in and give it
> to everyone at SSI and did an offsite to review the results. I'd say 90%+ of
> the employees chose to participate. You should have seen the difference
> between 2 groups that were asked to describe time. Given a marking pen and
> clipboard with paper, the first 4 people had listed a ton of things like
> minutes, seconds, time is money, etc. Another group that had not witnessed
> the first group came in and when asked to do the same thing, spent 5 minutes
> discussing the metaphysics of time. By the end of it, all they could agree
> to write was that time was a concept and one person was still debating
> whether they should put that down. Turns out the first group was weighted to
> heavy S (Sensing) types and the other was weighted to heavy N (Intuitive)
> types. All of us watching this were rolling on the floor in laughter by the
> end of watching the second group. It was just amazing to most of us that
> people could approach a seemingly simple task so differently. Sorry for the
> off topic post, but when I started seeing those 4 letter types here the
> memories came flooding back. I always thought that offsite was one of the
> most enlightening things we did at SSI, at least it was for me.

Heh! That reminds me of a course in philosophy I took back in
college. (This was circa 1970). The class of 12 students was divided
into two groups and told to prepare to debate: "The problems of the
university in the modern world."

The first group came in and began discussing *actual* problems of our
university, like dogs in the cafeteria, and unheated classrooms, etc.
My group came in and began discussing the *role* of the typical
university in society; should it be just a career factory or be
designed to foster independent inquiry.

The instructors (2 of them) laughed uproariously while we stood around
looking at each other in wonderment. Neither side could comprehend
how the other could have been so stupid! It wasn't until much later
that I began to understand that the instructors had deliberately
selected each group according to some 'personality type' or other, in
order to produce exactly the result that occurred. They never
bothered to explain though, the bastards! ;-)

> i got an entp whatever that means.
> what struck me was that in the first test there seemed to be 5
> questiond and they just kept rephrasing them.

Yes, it's right, and it's about coherence. Part of the test is about how
much you are coherent and precise in you answers, by giving the same
question slighty rephrased.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 20:39:36 -0800, "Joel Billings"
<jabgamer@2by3adelphia.net> wrote:

>As a bit of wargaming corporate history, back in the late eighties or early
>nineties almost everyone at SSI took the Myers-Briggs type indicator
>profile. My wife did management training and she had given it to me (my wife
>and I are exact opposite types on the scale). We had her come in and give it
>to everyone at SSI and did an offsite to review the results.

When I was at Nabisco the whole division's marketing department did an
off-site meeting where the 60+ of us took Myers-Briggs. This was a mix
of about 50% MBAs/product managers and 50% creatives, secretaries, and
marketing research math whizzes.

There are 16 possible M-B combos and we had at least one of each type
in the group, but over 50% of the group was ESTJ. Of the product
managers 80% were Extroverted (given behavior at and frequency of
parties I had no problem believing that.)

Some M-B analysts give each of the sixteen a name: Professor, Artist,
Executive, Field-Marshal, etc. I was an Executive; my boss, whom I
didn't get along that well with, was a Field-Marshal.

After reading the descriptors I understood why. We'd both set a goal,
say, get from A to B. He had come out of sales and his F-M personality
jumped ahead to goal-fulfillment and said "Won't it be GREAT when we
get to B?!" My personality sees the steps in between. In meetings I'd
say, "Yeah, B will be great, but there's a risk at A1, A2, a total
trainwreck at A3 if we don't get funded, and A4 doesn't happen if that
strike in Milan comes to pass." I thought I was prudent. Thinking
about problems made me feel in control. He thought I was a cynic and a
non-team-player and graded me down on my eval.

Good old Myers-Briggs.

Steve