Warner Bros. Looking to Hire Secret Pirate Spy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyMaelstrom

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
That's just what the UK needs... a cocky 18 year-old intern who defines himself as "leet" to tell all the computer illiterate big wigs what's up in the world of internet piracy.

Hey Warner Bros. You've probably got a hundred senior graphic artists on staff that know more about computers than any 18 year old willing to take a £17,500 internship ever would.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
This might actually work. If pirates don't trust anyone, piracy will dwindle to harmless proportions...

Also - it shouldn't be hard to find a traitor amongst the greedy opportunists...

G

They don't mean the kiddy sites like The Pirate Bay or Minova. They want the big fish E.G. private trackers which are hard to get in.

bittoe

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
no one wants to pay $10-$12 and be forced to sit through thirty minutes of commercials to watch a crappy movie.
No one wants to pay $49 for the DVD and be forced to watch the "upcoming events". The only thing WB has been successfully at, is forcing its patrons to pirate.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]tpho2500[/nom]They don't mean the kiddy sites like The Pirate Bay or Minova. They want the big fish E.G. private trackers which are hard to get in.[/citation]

Stuff like pirate bay/demonoid/etc ARE the big fish, I'm sure much much more pirating of their content happens there. And this seems a bit silly, I'm sure they could just find people involved in these sites and pay them to rat it out. Everyone has a price.

RaQin

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
They don't need an intern...they need to hire a well paid highly motivated IT pro who used to peddle torrents like breathing air. Kids have no clue, no real understanding of the economic impact of piracy, and don't have 20+ years of being on the 'wild side' of the warez sphere. No Warner needs to fork over about 200K/yr plus revenue recovery shares, and get someone to do more than troll the forums.

SlyMaelstrom

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]bittoe[/nom]no one wants to pay $10-$12 and be forced to sit through thirty minutes of commercials to watch a crappy movie. No one wants to pay $49 for the DVD and be forced to watch the "upcoming events". The only thing WB has been successfully at, is forcing its patrons to pirate.[/citation]
Oh, wow... they really drove you to it. How about showing up to the theater 15 minutes later than everyone else? Do you have to see everything opening night? ... and where the hell do you live that DVDs cost $49?

My opinion is that you should stop making excuses for breaking the law. Nobody is forcing you to pirate... you're just forcing them to raise ticket prices. I can't stand the way major film studios handle piracy... but the only thing that bugs me more than them is the pirates who try to convince themselves that they aren't doing anything wrong. If you're going to steal... at least fess up to it.

jakew120

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[citation][nom]SlyMaelstrom[/nom]Oh, wow... they really drove you to it. How about showing up to the theater 15 minutes later than everyone else? Do you have to see everything opening night? ... and where the hell do you live that DVDs cost $49?My opinion is that you should stop making excuses for breaking the law. Nobody is forcing you to pirate... you're just forcing them to raise ticket prices. I can't stand the way major film studios handle piracy... but the only thing that bugs me more than them is the pirates who try to convince themselves that they aren't doing anything wrong. If you're going to steal... at least fess up to it.[/citation]

He does fess up to it....

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]Warner Brothers wasting more money battling piracy rather than coming up with a business model that works in the 21st century. Awesome.[/citation]

what you mean is coming up with a business model that works in a world where it is easy and acceptable to just not pay for stuff if you don't want to, and take it for free?

granted that is ONE solution (if it can be found) the other is to just stop piracy at its source. I was just saying the other day that this is exactly what they should be doing, rather than horrible DRM and other blanket solutions that hurt the innocent more than the guilty . keep in mind, they aren't even interested in the downloaders, but the supply chain. and sure, they will never get it all, but they will get most of it, which is all they need. this is the proper way to try and solve the problem, and you don't need someone who is 'qualified' all you need is someone with the knowledge of the mainstream pirate (which isn't much).

good on you WB, as far as I see it, this is the best way to combat it, short of not combating it at all. I mean sure there are tonnes of things they could do to discourage people from pirating, (not least of which is making your products GOOD), but when you see people like Ubisoft and EA destroying the PC gaming scene, you have to commend people who come up with better ways of dealing with piracy.

G

It is against federal law to access a protected database without permission. (I know, I broke this law before it was a law.) Warner Brother's job posting is offering to pay for someone to break American law. No idea how UK law compares, but they don't seem to be advertising on this side of the pond.

No punch line. Thems the facts.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
The studio's could adopt a business model on a sharing bases. So if you don't want to pay for a movie, then you can use your bandwidth as a form of payment to them. You get a set of free points to start with so you can download a few free movies then if you continue to seed those movies you earn more points to get more free movies. This model would need some tweaking to make sure you have enough paying customers to make it worth it. Maybe even a subscription model where you pay x amount of dollars based on how much you can seed. As a bonus you would be given movies a week or so before the public DVD release of the film (to ensure enough seeders to offer seamless streaming). Could possibly even seed enough so that your dues would be 0$ at the end of a month. They need to embrace this culture instead of fighting it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]FunnyGuy[/nom]It is against federal law to access a protected database without permission. (I know, I broke this law before it was a law.) Warner Brother's job posting is offering to pay for someone to break American law. No idea how UK law compares, but they don't seem to be advertising on this side of the pond.No punch line. Thems the facts.[/citation]

They aren't asking you to hack into a database. They are asking you to infiltrate these private torrenting sites and relay information about them back to WB. This is no different than a police officer going undercover and it certainly isn't illegal.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bittoe[/nom]no one wants to pay $10-$12 and be forced to sit through thirty minutes of commercials to watch a crappy movie. No one wants to pay $49 for the DVD and be forced to watch the "upcoming events". The only thing WB has been successfully at, is forcing its patrons to pirate.[/citation]

I really don't know what you are talking about or where you are getting either of those figures. I pay $6.50 per ticket when I go to movie theaters (Austin, TX) and I pay anywhere from $5-$15 when I purchase a DVD or Blu-ray. And when I do buy a DVD I'm not forced to watch any upcoming events, it is pretty simple to press the "next" button.

No one is forced into stealing, ever. If you are stealing it is because you made a choice to steal a movie. If you want to protest about rising movie prices and strict DRM pirating that movie isn't a proper protest. A proper protest would be ignoring the movie in its entirety. There's no justification for torrenting a movie you don't own. None at all.

Having said that, I see no qualms in downloading a digital copy of a movie you already own. You've paid for the movie. Warner Brothers has been pretty good about providing digital copies with their retail discs so even that excuse isn't always valid.

daship

Distinguished
2009 The movie industry made record Billions in profits. This was due to piracy, people see a movie, they like it and they buy it.

Its time to hop on the technology bandwagon and make content available for dirt cheap online legally, people will still buy a hard copy if they like it.

MP3 get downloaded lots more then movies and there's still plenty of CD sales.

I do computer repair for a living and 99 out of 100 of them have movies and songs that were downloaded. Its to late to stop it, join the club.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
A couple months ago I downloaded a band's new CD purely to hear all of it's contents since I could not find a full sample of it anywhere. I had full intentions of buying the actual CD the next day which I did. Funny thing is the torrent download took all of 2 minutes and within 2 hours hours I recieved a notice of copywrite infringment from my ISP stating they had been notified by the copywrite holder of my violations.

In this email it listed each song as a violation as well as the album and noted their size. Here is the kicker...there was absolutely no music in the files I downloaded as they were dummy files of some sort. The torrent itself was bait and when I went back and posted on PB that is was a bait file it was removed rather quickly. This was like the only time I had ever downloaded an entire album other than the handful of single songs I have over many years. Needless to say they are watching and putting bait files out there so I just buy the CDs now and get pissed when there is only one good song on it LOL.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Ha! I guess Warner Bros never heard of double agents. I'd apply for that position just to get a first hand look at their methodology and technology. My friends may find that useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.