Warning!!!!!! Abit kt7 horror story

G

Hello

I own my own business doing onsight pc service and have run into this problem twice in the past week

Two customers call me saying that the socket for the abit kt7 mobo has come right off the board,after attempting too install a clip on cooler.
Sure enough on my arrival the socket is totally ripped out of the board. The force too get these things on the proc is enormous. This is not repairable. All traces too the board are destroyed and a new board is the only hope, with little help of warranty service.
My advice would be too get a twist on cooler, (somehting like the orbs or be darn careful when you install these things). I have two abit kt7's at home and luckily havnt had this problem but with 2 cases in less than a week its clearly an issue.
If you are going too get an orb you may have too either bend (carefully) the two caps. near the socket too get it too fit,or go with the smaller version that was developed too fit the abit kt7.

just thought i would pass this experience along.

mark
gamerx_2001@yahoo.com
rochester ny

"I thought i would never see a resonance cascade, let alone create one."

G

Ouch, thats gotta hurt,How could you rip the socket right out, Maybe one of your cust was the guy who posted that he started up his Athlon without a fan or heatsink, LOL

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If I am following your description of the problem then the heatsink, fan, and CPU are still attached to the socket which was ripped loose from motherboard.

If this is true then the HSF clamping mechanism did not fail but rather the sheer weight of the HSF might have done the damage.

Were these unusually large HSFs? I think AMD specifies that a HSF not exceed 20 ounces but I could see where an overly tall one might apply too much torque. This would be especially true if the computer were jarred during transit.

I hope it is not a defect in the KT7 (because I own one).

G

The way i see it you have on side of the clip in place,and are attempting too insert the other side it is giving the heatsink/fan combo an upward force. This i believe is ripping the socket out of the board. On my old k63-450 i had to use considerable force to get that clamp on. If you already have everything in place you are probably ok. I dont believe it is a defect with the board, i think it is the force needed to get that clamp on.

those can be tricky sometimes

mark

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I guess I would need a picture because I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying.

In any case, it is not good.

I have heard that some vendors will not ship their computers with the heatsink attached attached because they can snap off one of the tabs on the socket during transit. A loose heatsink can also do all kinds of damage.

G

When I put my T-Bird on my A7V, I noticed a similar problem with THE CLIP ON THE HEAT SINK not the mobo itself. The clip was much to tight, if I would have tried to put it on the way it came in the box the force needed to make it fit could have easily pulled the socket right off the board. As it worked out, I just got a screw driver out and bend the single clip on the heatsink a little outward. It was still a tight fit, but atleast I got it on safely. Hope this helps.
-Loki

G

Almost loaded my shorts when I attached mine to my Abitkt7. I started out by exerting strong upward force to try to twist down over the proccessor to snap the clip. I started sweating and my hands got shaky (or was it the other way around?) As I sat for a moment to calm down and catch my breath, it occurred to me that I was probably doing it all wrong. I adjusted the clip slightly (like loki), that helped a bit. Instead of trying to put the hs/f on around the chip, and actually crushing it on the edge, I pushed it down on the chip firmly but squarely, then used my other hand to put strong pressure only on the clip, where it then quickly snapped. Anyway, I understand the awful temptation to rip it up, rock it over, and crush the core while tearing the socket. Its scary, and the fear makes it harder instead of safer. I feel more comfortable with it now, but I'm glad that Durons are so cheap in case you screw up.

When a friend of mine upgraded, I advised him to take a 'dry run'. Practicing with the heat sink without the chip in the socket. Do you guys think that was smart or stoopid?

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

G

hi phsstpok.

If i run across the problem again witha a customer ill take a picture of it and send it too you. The easiest way i can describe it would be to compare this with a seesaw (spelling). You attach one side of the clip to the tab on the socket. With that attached you then put the other end of the clip on the other side. The force used to attach the clip too the second tab on the socket would put upward pressure on the other side (the seesaw effect). Thereby ripping the socket off the board with the upward force.

I guess you could pevent this by using your other hand (or with the help of a friend) to apply slight downward pressure on the fan/cpu/heatsink combo while applying the clip (this would stop the upward force).

a costly mishap too say the least
i would take a picture of mine but its not broken and working fine, but if you send me 160.00 i could probably bust it and send you a picture LOL.

Have a great weekend
This was my first post and i really am enjoying this forum.

mark
rochester ny
gamerx_2001@yahoo.com

G

Tominator

In answer too your question, it was probably a good idea to try it first,but the problem that i am refering too was the damage to the socket and the board. Im not sure if trying it without the proc would make any difference because the procs are so slim. Hopefully your buddy got it in ok :)
In my previous post i stated that maybe you should try to apply downward pressure on the heatsink while applying the clip. The more i think about it this may not be a good idea seeing how the core of the proc. is slightly above the base, and could be crushed by any extras force.

i guess we cant win

mark

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hello to you, Techmedic.

That description works. Now, I see it.

AMD specs the clamping force to be between 12 and 24 pounds. I think damage could be done very easily with that much force on such a small object. One has to be very careful to steady the motherboard and the heatsink while performing the installation.

And thanks for the offer but I have a better use for a new mobo than a how-not-to-install-a-heatsink demonstration. :)