Warning against Fences software offered free by Tucows.com

boblalux

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
I was very disgusted when I tried to download the program Fences to clear up (organise) the mess on my desktop using the free version provided by TUCOWS . The list of totally unwanted ad links and hidden add-ons included (bobrowser, zombie news, remote desktop access, mystartsearch and and and ....) is huge.

I know, I know, one shouldn't use web sites which provide FREE programs of a usually quite acceptable PAYABLE software, in this case sold by stardock . But TUCOWS beats them all as far as pernicious ad links etc are concerned. I must have missed something when I used the CUSTOM INSTAL, and I was left with the baby!

It was virtually impossible to get rid of the ad links/programs now GLUED to my PC, and as I tried to uninstal/remove them, they seemed to multiply. The PC became hung up. I had to do a restore to get back to being able to use my pc at all! After having restored my PC, a scan by Malwarebytes Anti-malware program still revealed 838 malware items on my PC basically put there by TUCOWS.

I emailed Stardock mentioning my experiences, and saying they should try and do something about TUCOS, as the latter does nothing to enhance Stardock's reputation. I personally, decided not to use the software – my fingers have been burnt. I also emailed TUCOWS about my experiences with them. No reply as yet.

So beware when using TUCOWS, for me an evil web site/company.

TRENDING THREADS