Warning, ATI Warrentee Lost

njrich2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2002
Wow. Just got off the phone with Debra (1:20 pm Eastern Time Monday 1/19/04 Martin Luther King's birthday) at the number listed on the HL2 game promotion site. I bought one of the cards that has the HL2 promotion coupon and I asked her straight out, if I scratch off the card to get the number, "do I loose the warantee on the card." And she said yes (her words). She added that if the card becomes defective in 6 or 7 months, you can not return the card if you scratch off and reveal the code. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I had planned to download those other games right away, but I might wait a while. My experiences have been if something electronic is defective, it usaully does so fairly soon after you start using it. Just thought I would share this with you peeps (but you probably already knew). Bummer njrich2

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Your Radeons warranty? If its a BBA then you don't loose your warranty if you scratch off a little code. You probably won't be able to return your card though because if you scratch the code off then its a freeride to a game. It may be different with different companys but you can't download HL2 yet because its not out yet.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here and beat this bad boy...
A64 3200+ w/ 1 GB DDR 400
2 36 gig raptors in Raid 0 complemented by an AIW 9800 Pro

I have a feeling that english is not this guy's first language, and he probably confused RETURN the card with warranty support.

Yeah you scratch of the grey protection you have bought the card, but the warranty still applies just like any other card, you just won't get your money back, just replacement support etc. And that's to be expected.

Doesn't void the warranty, of course, regardless of what he thought someone said 'yes' to.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I'm trying to comprehend how scratching a card gets you a number? Why are you scratching your card to begin with and how is doing so going to give you a number? And what is the number for that your trying to get?

I think the card he's scratching is the HL2 offer card, not a video card.

Otherwise he's thinking that the offer is like the genie in a bottle. Scratch it an see what you get.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Ah. But why would anyone think that scratching a coupon your suppose to scratch anyways would void the warrenty of a videocard? Who would even think to ask such a thing? Well I guess this guy would.