Discussion Warning, do not remove RAID drive then repurpose drives without deleting RAID signature from CPU Attached RAID drive before removing drives.

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I made the mistake of not deleting RAID signature from CPU attached RAID drives then repurposed 2 of the drives which I was able to remove RAID signature individually & they were still usable however it appears that there is a such a thing as a master & slave drive with the CPU attached RAID drive & the master drive is locked to be a RAID drive forever but can only be used in a hardware based RAID such as with the Z390 chipset. It can no longer be used as a regular NVME drive or in a software based RAID as in CPU attached RAID. Attempts to use as a normal NVME drive results in it being locked as offline. Attempts to boot computer with drive in slot that is RST controlled but not part of hardware RAID causes computer to boot loop. Form a hardware based RAID with it & you can boot & install operating system on it but this has lower performance than a CPU attached RAID setup. Since I had already repurposed the other drives that appeared to have been slave drives which I successfully removed the RAID signature I ended up throwing out the master drive since I couldn't repurpose it except as a hardware based RAID drive which I didn't want.

What makes that drive a master drive is that is the one that the operating system was installed on prior to forming the RAID drive which must be formed in software for CPU attached storage, This requires the operating system to be loaded to form the RAID drive. During the forming of the RAID drive the IRST driver writes a signature to the master drive which can only be removed with other drives present & not modified nor had their RAID signature removed which is not as hard coded as it is on the master drive which means it is possible to repurpose the slaves by using the IRST driver to remove their signature individually which I was able to do with ease.

All attempts to recover the master drive to a normal state failed for me.

Note I did this as I was upgrading to the 800p series 118GB drive. These are also set up as CPU attached RAID 0 on my Asus ROG Strix Z390-E motherboard with Core I-9 9900K processor & 32GB DDR4 2133 memory.

There is slight improvements in reads & major improvements in writes just as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

germanium

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I did finally remove the RAID signature from the drive using Aomi Partition Assist. I had thrown the drive in the garbage but hadn't taken it out yet so I was able to retrieve the drive from the garbage & get it working so I could repurpose it.