Warning: New guy

So hi room,

Forgive me if you've heard this request a thousand times before, but I
figured this is a good place to start.

With that being said, I just found that on my computer, I have MAME v.32
along with countless ROMS. After reading through some posts here, it looks
as if v.95 is the most recent version. Is that correct?

Also, back in the day, I used to visit a site called mame.dk (or something
similar). I can't seem to find this site anymore, so is there a good site to
visit to collect some missing ROM files or even grab some new ROMS
altogether?

Thanks.
FW

FurlessWookie wrote on 06. April 2005:

> So hi room,

This is no chat room here. ;-)

> Forgive me if you've heard this request a thousand times before, but I
> figured this is a good place to start.
>
> With that being said, I just found that on my computer, I have MAME v.32
> along with countless ROMS. After reading through some posts here, it looks
> as if v.95 is the most recent version. Is that correct?

Kind of.

> Also, back in the day, I used to visit a site called mame.dk (or something
> similar). I can't seem to find this site anymore,

Some googling would find some sources telling when and why it died.

> so is there a good site to visit to collect some missing ROM files or
> even grab some new ROMS altogether?

Do you think you need *all* the roms? If you might want to ask a "MAME
burner" to write some CDs. It's kind of free. At least there are costs
for the media and postage.

<http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

(I think I will add this link to my signature, which is too long anyway ;-)
--
By(e) Andreas

In a parallel universe, Anti-FurlessWookie said exactly the opposite of:

> So hi room,

Hi FurlessWookie!

> Forgive me if you've heard this request a thousand times before, but I
> figured this is a good place to start.

either:

R-Type

or

Delete default.cfg

> With that being said, I just found that on my computer, I have MAME
> v.32 along with countless ROMS. After reading through some posts here,
> it looks as if v.95 is the most recent version. Is that correct?

Yes, if you don't count 'u' releases which don't come out between actual
releases. Don't worry about those for a while... :)

> Also, back in the day, I used to visit a site called mame.dk (or
> something similar). I can't seem to find this site anymore, so is
> there a good site to visit to collect some missing ROM files or even
> grab some new ROMS altogether?

Right now there is no longer a centralized web site where you can
download any and all mame roms through http, there are some private ftps,
there is newsgroups such as alt.binaries.emulators.mame and
alt.binaries.emulators.misc, there's bittorrents (check
http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/) and as someone else already mentioned,
the Lazarus burners.

> Thanks.

Welcome to the group.

*-) K.os
--
"He imagined for a moment his itinerary connecting up all the dots in the
sky like a child's numbered dots puzzle. He hoped that from some vantage

FurlessWookie wrote:
> So hi room,
>
> Forgive me if you've heard this request a thousand times before, but I
> figured this is a good place to start.
>
> With that being said, I just found that on my computer, I have MAME v.32
> along with countless ROMS. After reading through some posts here, it looks
> as if v.95 is the most recent version. Is that correct?
>
> Also, back in the day, I used to visit a site called mame.dk (or something
> similar). I can't seem to find this site anymore, so is there a good site to
> visit to collect some missing ROM files or even grab some new ROMS
> altogether?
>
> Thanks.
> FW

1) Go here: http://torrent.mametitles.co.uk
2) Sign up
3) Go here: http://torrent.mametitles.co.uk/torrents.php
4) Choose Category 'MAME' & click search
5) Click on the disk icon beside 'MAME vX.XX Romset (Mamezipped)' (or
whatever) to d/l the .torrent
6) In TorrentStorm ( www.torrentstorm.com ) point the file to your MAME
directory
8) Repeat from 5 for 'MAME vX.XX Extras Complete' (or whatever)
9) Wait up to a week for the torrents to update your MAME setup (It's
worth it, /believe/ me!)
10) The next time MAME updates, get the ROMs & extras - only the changed
Roms, etc. will d/l. (The last update only took overnight.)

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

FurlessWookie wrote on 06. April 2005:

> With that being said, I just found that on my computer, I have MAME
> v.32 along with countless ROMS. After reading through some posts here,
> it looks as if v.95 is the most recent version. Is that correct?

Please don't confuse MAME32 with MAME 0.95. A few clarifications:

1. There is the basic "MAME for Win32." This is the core application which
runs under 32-bit Windows, but from a command-line interface that reminds
people of DOS (gray test on plain black screen). It is the center of the MAME
universe. :)

For convenience, many people use front-end programs such as EmuLoader to
manage the emulator more easily.

2. There is "MAME32," which has the same underlying code as "MAME for Win32"
but has a built-in graphical interface (GUI); and therefore doesn't need a
front-end. Much easier for newbies and lazies to use.

3. "0.95" refers to the build or version number. The optional "u" suffix
refers to an intermediate release. Thus, you could have MAME32 0.53, MAME32
0.80, MAME32 0.92u4, MAME32 0.95u1 and so on.

3. MAME 0.95 and MAME32 0.95 are essentially the same, except for the
aforementioned GUI. They use exactly the same ROMs.

"Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message

> 6) In TorrentStorm ( www.torrentstorm.com ) point the file to your MAME
> directory

From the homepahge of www.torrentstorm.com :

30th March 2005.

For personal reasons, I have been unable to continue with the development
of Torrentstorm, and have decided that until I can continue with its
development, it is best to close this site. Thank you to all who have helped
and supported torrentstorms development, and I hope to see you all again
soon.

:¬( Another good site bites the dust.

Jason

jasongnome wrote:
> "Dead_Dad" <XXXspamtrap007@yahoo.comXXX> wrote in message
>

>>6) In TorrentStorm ( www.torrentstorm.com ) point the file to your MAME
>>directory
>

> From the homepahge of www.torrentstorm.com :
>
> 30th March 2005.
>
> For personal reasons, I have been unable to continue with the development
> of Torrentstorm, and have decided that until I can continue with its
> development, it is best to close this site. Thank you to all who have helped
> and supported torrentstorms development, and I hope to see you all again
> soon.
>
> :¬( Another good site bites the dust.
>
> Jason

<DU-DU-DUH><DUH><DUH>Another site bites the DUST! (Sorry - Couldn't
resist.) <GBEG>

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

>2. There is "MAME32," which has the same underlying code as "MAME for Win32"
>but has a built-in graphical interface (GUI); and therefore doesn't need a
>front-end. Much easier for newbies and lazies to use.
Hey I *like* lazy.... :)

Wavey Dragon <WaveyDragon@dragons.aren't.real.com> wrote in

>>2. There is "MAME32," which has the same underlying code as "MAME for
>>Win32" but has a built-in graphical interface (GUI); and therefore
>>doesn't need a front-end. Much easier for newbies and lazies to use.

> Hey I *like* lazy.... :)

I never said *I* didn't! :)

Mame32 Plus!, anyone?