Question Warranty Question

fadsarmy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hello,

I need some advice folks. I had a problem with the electrics in my house for a couple of weeks where the RCD kept tripping. I had a HTPC and a satellite receiver connected to the same tv via two HDMI ports. When I switched the htpc on, something went pop in the satellite receiver and it never worked after that. I took it apart and noticed the pcb around the HDMI port had burnt out. Since then, all my TV and HTPC HDMI ports no longer work. My TV is out of warranty but the motherboard is. There is no physical damage on the motherboard. Would it be dishonest to claim warranty on the motherboard?

Did you intentionally damage the motherboard, or did the damage occur due to something that was done improperly on your part? No? Then I'd say it's worth a shot. Doesn't mean they'll honor it though and you may end up paying shipping TO them, just to have it returned with a note saying the damage was due to external circumstances and not do to any fault of the motherboard. Really that's your call whether you want to roll the dice on that or not. If they replace it, then I don't think it's dishonest at all. Stuff happens, and as long as it didn't happen due to any obviously intentional stupidity on your part, then it is what it is.

fadsarmy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply. There was a problem with the home electrical wiring which we later got fixed. That caused an overvolt to the hdmi ports which damaged the board. They've accepted the rma but I haven't posted it yet. I just said the hdmi no longer works. There is no physical damage to the board.