Warranty Service With Non-Windows OS

I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
(OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
problem by loading Windows.

arnie

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004

I'd keep the original OS on the system while under warranty. Why give them
an easy out?

arnie wrote:
> I'd keep the original OS on the system while under warranty. Why give them
> an easy out?

I probably will, but 3 years is quite a bit of time. Hmm...I wonder how
small I can squeeze Windows...

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you will
be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them an
easy way out its all in your small print

Fixer wrote:
> Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
> leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you will
> be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them an
> easy way out its all in your small print

Well running Windows in qemu works quite well (with the accelerator
module, you can get near native speed). I'm worried about when I need
to actually send in the laptop for service.

IF you need to send in the Laptop/Desktop for ANY reason you should NEVER
send in your hard drive. Too many companies have come back and "lost"
computers or have hard drives fail. There is no need for a company to have a
hard drive to fix a computer. They will bitch sometimes but I never do
that. I have had Apple complain but I always tell them they have a
diagnostic CD and so does Dell. If not they should have a spare drive around
they can throw around

Wayne
> Fixer wrote:
>> Dell Will only support Windows and Red Hat Linux, so you would be best to
>> leave windows on because if they ever ask you to trouble shoot then you
>> will
>> be opening yourself upto all sorts of problems, its not about giving them
>> an
>> easy way out its all in your small print
>
> Well running Windows in qemu works quite well (with the accelerator
> module, you can get near native speed). I'm worried about when I need
> to actually send in the laptop for service.

BigJim

buy another hard drive and install it and put the original in storage
if there is a problem replace the new drive
with the original, who is going to know.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
> (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
> free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
> trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
> warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
> my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
> problem by loading Windows.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
> (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
> free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
> trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
> warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
> my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
> problem by loading Windows.

Never return your HD when you return your system for service or repair -
unless it is a problem that involves the HD!

Even if the problem is with the hard drive, NEVER return your system to Dell or
any other name brand company for service. More often than not, the original
chassis does not come back either. The companies somewhat mindlessly send out a
replacement system on a pretty timely basis, then refurb the returned system if
possible to recycle it the same way.

In the past few months I have saved quite a few clients a lot of grief with
failing hard drives of systems, even those still under warranty, desktops and
notebooks alike. If the drive still cycles up and is readable, I can usually
coax 99% of the client's data to find its way to the replacement drive. It's
worth it for them to pay me to do this, because they have their business and
personal data, much of which cannot be recreated. Yes, I know, people are
horrific about doing backups. But even with regular backups, a failure at the
wrong time can expose just the right amount of data to risk of being lost.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:00:51 +0100, "Tim Scott"
<tim.scott@nospamplease.orange.net> wrote:

>"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
>> (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
>> free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
>> trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
>> warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
>> my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
>> problem by loading Windows.
>
>Never return your HD when you return your system for service or repair -
>unless it is a problem that involves the HD!

Nicholas,
Yes. My Inspiron 7000 came with Win98, I had upgraded to XP, I called
about a problem and was told to reload Win98 first.
Paul

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> I'm pretty much keeping Windows installed on my D610 for one program
> (OrCAD PSPICE), but my class requiring it is ending soon and I'd like to
> free up that Windows partition. Does anyone know if I'll run into
> trouble down the road getting support for hardware repairs under
> warranty if I'm not running Windows? I'm worried that if something like
> my inverter card fails, Dell will deny the repair if they can't test the
> problem by loading Windows.

Sure, Paul, and I had a similar experience when I upgraded from Windows 95
to Windows 98. When you think about it, Dell's warranty applies to the
computer they sold you, as is. You're free to change the original computer
in any way you like, but Dell is not under any obligation to support any
change that they didn't instruct you to make (or approve in advance, as in
the case of drivers.)

For example, when Win98 first came out, Dell offered an upgrade CD to its
computer owners who had earlier versions of Windows. That was a supported
upgrade.

As for hardware support, if the OP experiences a hardware problem unrelated
to Windows - like if the hard disk dies - Dell will make it right as long as
it's under warranty. Dell warrants the hard disk to work.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."