Question Warzone frames are capped at 60 fps --- why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
So I've been playing Warzone since it first came out and I've had decent frames of 90-100fps depending where on the map I'm at. I opened up the game a couple of days ago and I've noticed my frames hard locked at 60-70fps no matter what and I really mean no matter what. I've tried everything and it stays locked at 60-70fps.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen R5 1600x
Zotac RTX 2060 Dual Fan
16GB Corsair Value Select RAM
Asrock AB350 Pro Motherboard
1TB WD HDD
500GB WD Black NVME SSD
LG 1440p @ 144hz Monitor

I typically play at 1440p with mixed Graphic settings and DLSS on

And here is a list of what I've tried... Keep in mind that it stays at 60-70fps regardless of these changes.

1)Overclocking my GPU & CPU
2)Maxing out the ingame settings
3)Lowering the ingame settings and
reducing the resolution to as low as 720p
4)V-Sync On and Off
5)Dynamic Resolution and DLSS on and
Off
6)Custom Frame Rate tested at different
settings and set to Unlimited
7)Tried Full-Screen, Borderless, Windowed
and every other option
8)Scan and Repair Game Files
9)Changed "adv-settings" in my documents
10)Updated Windows and Graphic Drivers
11)Revert/Reinstall even older Graphic
Drivers
12)Enabled and Disabled Game-Mode in
Windows 10
13)Ran stress tests on GPU, CPU and RAM
all working fine
14)Moved the games to my SSD

And I'm sure I've missed some, but I've tried everything I could find.

The interesting part is that I monitored the game with Afterburner and this what I found.

The game only utilizes 50-70% of the GPU in any Battle Royale mode and the power draw is sitting at 60-65%... When I spawn into a training mode (Battle Royale Orientation, Plunder Training e.c.t) then my frames are perfect at 100-110fps and GPU usage is back to 95% with power draw sitting at around 90%. But as soon as I spawn into a BR mode or even Plunder it drops down again.

I had Afterburner open as I spawned into a Solo and as the helicopter animation starts with the character about to jump the GPU usage is sitting at 95%, Power at 90% and my frames vary between 95-100fps, as soon as the animation is done the numbers all fall down to what I mentioned at the start of this post. It's extremely frustrating at this point.

It feels as if there is a setting somewhere where it is limited to 70fps... I just can't find it

Any suggestions would be appreciated

No issues in other games, only Warzone, and only in the BR game modes.

Temps
CPU: 45°-50°C
GPU: 65°C

Where in the past the GPU would go to about 80°C.
This does seem specific to this game and even parts of the game. I don’t play Warzone myself but have seen countless issues reported, I wonder if this is caused by an update that has impacted performance on certain hardware. I can’t think of anything else to try.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
This does seem specific to this game and even parts of the game. I don’t play Warzone myself but have seen countless issues reported, I wonder if this is caused by an update that has impacted performance on certain hardware. I can’t think of anything else to try.
I did some more testing and it seems to be in every game...

I've gone down the rabbit hole trying to sort out the problem. I have tried everything you get when you search the issue on Google, but with no luck. About to do a full driver Uninstall and Reinstall.

This is really breaking my brain. Everything worked fine a few days ago

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Thats normally one of the first things to try. Make sure you use DDU to remove the current driver.

That also didn't work.

I updated my BIOS - was about two generations behind
I ran DDU in safe mode and then rolled back to about 3 different NVIDIA drivers all with the same outcome
I updated all of my Chipset, LAN, Sound and peripheral drivers
Removed the GPU, CPU and RAM and cleaned every connection
I've been through the entire NVIDIA control panel and disabled V-Sync
Enabled and Disabled G-sync on my monitor

The only thing I haven't tried is a fresh Windows install - which I really don't want to do

What's bothering me is my GPU & CPU temperatures. They are running about 20°C colder than usual. Is it a Power issue maybe? Not getting enough power to the components? According to MSI Afterburner my GPU is drawing 100% power and my CPU just under 90W.

Any other suggestions I could try?

Since your post I have seen some other threads with people having problems with Warzone performance, I wonder if there has been an update that impacts certain hardware.

The lower cpu and gpu temperatures may be only a symptom and not the cause. If the FPS has dropped because something else is limiting performance you would expect the cpu and gpu to be lower temperatures.

Im out of ideas at the moment. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
I had this problem with a 1080ti.

Download GPU-Z and check the "Bus Interface" panel.

Can you post a picture of your GPU-Z?
Looks normal to me.
5b8.png

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Looks fine to me too.. Sorry man, all out of ideas :(
Could it be a CPU problem? I ran PassMark and my CPU scored "8265" where as the quoted average for my CPU is suppose to be around the "14 000" mark.

I have no other way of testing the CPU. It is a first generation Ryzen, so it is old, but it should still hold up.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Jun 27, 2021
Everything seems to be alright, apart from your hard drive. Are the games that lock to 70fps on the hard-drive? It's performing very poorly, and it may not be able to keep up with demand. This is usually met with some stuttering as well.

Dylan_2

Honorable
Sep 7, 2015
Everything seems to be alright, apart from your hard drive. Are the games that lock to 70fps on the hard-drive? It's performing very poorly, and it may not be able to keep up with demand. This is usually met with some stuttering as well.
That hard drive that is showing 21% is my External HDD. No games or applications are running from it. The OS and relevant games are all on the SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.