[SOLVED] Warzone Lag Fix?

DireMe

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2013
Hi!

I have a weird post, but bare with me.

In Warzone 1 I had an incredible amount of lag, to the point where my game would freeze for several seconds at a time, multiple times a minute.
Of course, it happened at the most crucial of moments. In game, it reflects as ping spikes and I blamed my ISP and poor programming, hence I stopped playing.
Now that Warzone 2 was launched I wanted to try again. I still had severe lag but a different kind. Still reflected as ping spikes but just spikes from 50-100 ping, which had me thinking that its not realistic that the ISP is the issue.
Being real, 50-100 ping is not really noticeable as a "spike". I then started thinking that maybe its my hard drive.
I noticed that the hard drive I was using (3,5" HDD) was at 30% usage when running WZ2 . I found this to be a lot and I ordered an NVMe M.2 SSD.
Also I found that WZ1 (WZ2, not so much) used a lot of ram, I then ordered 16 additional gigabytes of RAM to increase my total to 32GB, since that seemed to be an issue within the first launch of the game.

When I received the order. I dusted off the PC, installed the game on the NVMe, added the RAM and the game is running flawlessly.

For me it feels far fetched that the drive should be the cause of the lag, but 30% usage is a lot for an HDD, is it not?
Now running 32GB of ram, my task manager tells me that ish 14-17gb's (10-14 ish gb was used before) is being utilized, does this mean the RAM was the issue, since it apparently wanted more than it could have (same apps were run in the background)?

This post is more of a discussion, but I am confused to what the solve is.

Obviously it works perfectly fine for me now, but which one of the two do you believe matter the most?

I am very happy with both my upgrades, but I did not really believe when I purchased them that it would solve my problem.
RAM or NVMe?

Valuable specs:
CPU: i5 9600K
GPU: GTX 1070 ti
RAM: 16GB -> 32GB (DDR4, 3600MHz)

(The post is meant to help people with the same issue, hence I was quite thorough with my explanation. I will give a solve to a response with rational reasoning)

Solution
D
It’s totally conceivable It was the hard drive. You really shouldn’t game on hard drives anymore. They shouldn’t be used for anything except maybe movies and some music. It probably is your hard drive and it was failing.

with games you need instantaneous loading and there’s no substitute for SSD I don’t care what anybody says. If you’re gaming, put the game on an SSD do not use a hard drive and don’t use a hard drive if you don’t have to basically smash them and throw them out because they’re garbage unless you have huge drives in a network attached storage for movies
D

Deleted member 14196

It’s totally conceivable It was the hard drive. You really shouldn’t game on hard drives anymore. They shouldn’t be used for anything except maybe movies and some music. It probably is your hard drive and it was failing.

with games you need instantaneous loading and there’s no substitute for SSD I don’t care what anybody says. If you’re gaming, put the game on an SSD do not use a hard drive and don’t use a hard drive if you don’t have to basically smash them and throw them out because they’re garbage unless you have huge drives in a network attached storage for movies

Solution