Was anyone stupid enough to buy a P4?

G

I think I have yet to see someone in this forum who is touting their newly purchased P4. And so if there is someone out there, I'd like that person/persons to come forward. I say "stupid enough to buy a P4" because it's performance, despite intel's recent/impending price cuts still does not justify its price, the current p4 mobos will soon be obsolete, and amd has a much more attractive option in the athlon. So if you bought a P4, come forward, so that I can laugh at you.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Just what we need, another immature AMD kid. I'll watch and see which AMD supporters I can respect by watching how they deal with you.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

G

But the proper response it to ignore him/her. So how can we ever earn your respect? ;-)

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I must admit I always buy intel, but not because of their processors, but because of their chipsets. It is really annoying that ati and nvidia provide such worthless support for AMD chipsets. That said, I wouldn't never dream of buying a P4, what a marketing hunk of junk. RDRAM can kiss my hairy, dirty ass. I won't even consider a P4 until intel comes up with a decent chipset. And if ati or nvidia start paying a little more attention to AMD chipset features, I may never buy intel again.

Only hasbro should have a Monopoly.

G

Hey dude

We ourselves may not like Intel and prefer AMD
but its not good to say who was stupid to buy a p4.

Right now it may not be showing its glory but in time wait and see.

Im a AMD guy myself but i mean Athlon is good but its soon changing itself too.

But just be careful what you say k?
People on here are realllly sensative on name calling etc.

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would say anyone who bought a P4 system when it first came or even 6 months ago is probably not very happy. The price drop is dramatic and the fastest P4 is finally up to performance standards. Sure the fastest Athlon beats it in a lot of benchmarks but I bet no one could tell a difference using the computers side by side. I’m still leaning towards AMD but at least the P4 seems like a real option now.

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
TBird,

You are growing up. Being banned has helped your attitude.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>So if you bought a P4, come forward, so that I can laugh at you.

dude, I'm busy lol at all the VIA/AMD horror stories. I bet you wont find any P4 horror story here, because they run flawlessly!!!

I guess you can laugh @ yourself you big dope!

"AMD...you are the weakest link, good bye!"

G

Not really..
I watch what i say now ya..

But i mean im not stupid either.

P4 right now is ok.. not great.
I know im time it will be way better with northwood but
im that that dumb.

Both companies are undergoing changes.
We just have to wait and see what they come out with and how it performs =)

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

I'm no amd zealot. I have no brand loyalty and I don't try to root for amd just because they are the "underdog." I buy whatever I think is best based on price and performance. I have owned both intel and amd. I used to have a celeron machine, back when celeron was on par with pentium 2s and raped the hell outta k6-2. Nowadays I have a duron 750@933. People who buy p4s today are stupid because they are far too expensive for the performance they provide. Buying a p4 today means that in six months or so you will have a motherboard that will no longer support the new p4s. In my opinion, that's pretty stupid. I'm not saying the p4 itself blows, because it doesn't. What I'm saying is that the p4 as an upgrade or system platform well, blows.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
“You are growing up. Being banned has helped your attitude”

Was this meant for me?
Because if it was I have no idea what your talking about.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Most people buy a system to keep for 3-5 years. The P4 offers the most promise for the future as software will only become more and more friendly to your new processor. P3 and Athlon can only get further and further behind as P4 optimized software is released.

While I do recommend waiting for Northwood, if someone absolutely has to buy a new computer today, The P4 is the better choice for the full lifespan of your new system.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Buying a product that is overprice for most does not make a person stupid!

There are some things the P4 blows away amd chips...That said some people need a P4!

Even if they did not need that they are not stupid! Maybe misinformed but not stupid. If I didn't have many AMD systems running and read some posts out there I wouldn't even consider an AMD machine...I bought my first one before I read all the problems people are having. I have not had any problems YET.

For someone that doesn't know much about putting a computer together and wants to build a machine that is going to be around for awhile a P4 is a smart choice...they aren't as difficult to build as an amd machine and they support sse2 and most new programs will have support for that.

I love my Tbirds & Durons...but I have built many machines not everybody has. If you are a new comer to building machines don't even think about an AMD. Unless you read on the things you will need to do (download latest drivers, which you should do for any new machine you build. Put a hsf on properly, without breaking you cpu. Monitor your heat because they do not have protection like the intel chips yet.)

P4 has it's good points and it's flaws...I can't believe there isn't smp support, that has always been the edge intel has held in the workstation market...bad move on there part but I am sure that will be soon?

I think you opened a bad can of worms with the way you came off...Sorry but I hope you get flamed.

You made a very poorly thought out statement...

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i own a tbird too but i don't diss intel owners. i agree with all the people who says that intel chipsets are more reliable. i know because i still have a pentium 200MMX i bought a lifetime ago and its enough to do my word processing and surfing. the only thing that screwed up was the win95 but i'm using 98 now.

Bill Gates? Never heard of him! :cool:

G

Well, I don't own a P4 or a T-bird. What I can say is that I don't see a single post here or anywhere else from anyone that is having trouble with a P4. AMD on the other hand.....

There are two theories to arguing with women........neither of which work.

G

I think the market for P4s is mostly corporate with big budgets. The home user would normally think twice about buying the P4 with 128M Rambus. Can you imagine upgrading memory to 256M and finding out you have two get rid of 2 sticks of 64M and buying 2 sticks of 128M. I would have a heart attack because I am "cheap."

All that aside, it is very important to have at least two good chip companies competing. Otherwise, the average user will get screwed as the dominant chip company could charge what the market will bear. I paid about $350 for my Pentium 233 many years ago. It's amazing what the same $350 will buy today.

Elegen13, you should visit the thread on 3D rendering/3D max. I'm sure you will be able to add a lot of intelligence to the discussion. It's has one of the best discussions of all time. You will fit right in.

G

Wouldn't you just buy two sticks of 64 MB rambus? All p4 boards I've seen have fours slots, not two.

There are two theories to arguing with women........neither of which work.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there are many of them, too shy to admit :) thats why you dont se them around here!
btw they arent fugger, amdmeltdown et al.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

G

yeah well,
nt sure what your definition of a decent chipset is, but most computer professionals conceed asn I agree that the 850 chipset with dual channel rambus is the best INTEL has ever made...

I can tell you for a fact after testing dozens of P4 machines in win 2000, and ME with many apps and benchmarks that the 850's 3.2 GPS bandwidth and rambus are a potent combination that no other INTEL or AMD chipset even comes close...

the memory throughput of rambus is 3 times that of DDR
in STREAM, SANDRA< and MEMTACH, so is the application performance that is memory intensive or requires multi tasking large apps,,

so best you try one out before making such misinformed comments

best
CAMERON

CYBERIMAGE
<A HREF="http://www.4CyberImage.com " target="_new">http://www.4CyberImage.com </A>
Ultra High Performance Computers-

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lowlypawn,

It was directed at TBirdinside. I did respond to his post, but while I was composing mine, you posted yours. It seems that with the right (or wrong) timing of posts, a response can be misdirected.

TBirds post was the last in the thread when I replied to him. But you must have posted seconds before me, and my post was re-addressed to you!

A bug for Fredi.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I own 2 P4's, ok now what your problem?

AMD lemmings are clueless to the meaning of bandwidth. Gl in trying to explain 3.2GB/S dominates any AMD offering.

G

And what are you using all the bandwidth for, huh fugger? Actually, nevermind, I'm sure that things like posting on this forum take at least 3.1gb/s. My bad.

TRENDING THREADS