Was Freeze Problem, now new MB

Posted previously re: computer freezing. New PSU, memory didn't fix
it. Bought a new MB, installed it last night and was pleasantly
suprised that it worked first time (first time installation for me of
a MB).

I previously had been trying to repair my winxp, but with the freezing
problems it wouldn't complete. After install of the MB, XP started
the install process from the beginning, asking me what kind of install
etc. I did get into BIOS settings and it recognized the hdd etc.

I leave and when I return the winxp logo screen is up, and it goes
further but all I get is a black screen, only able to see the cursor.

Multiple reboots get me to the same spot.

This morning, I boot from a floppy, intending to try and start winxp
setup that way. No D Drive found, and no C drive found.

Take that out, and now I cannot get past the POST screen, not even
into the BIOS. I get one beep. It shows the CPU, then memory, thats
it.

The mb was inexpensive and the CPU was already installed on it.

I've uninstalled the cdrom/floppy and have tried a couple of video
cards.

Syntax SV266A mb, AMD 2.x CPU, Phoenix AwardBios

Wondering if I somehow blew something up?

jad

common denominator CPU

"bizee" <bizeesheri@aol.com> wrote in message
> Posted previously re: computer freezing. New PSU, memory didn't fix
> it. Bought a new MB, installed it last night and was pleasantly
> suprised that it worked first time (first time installation for me
of
> a MB).
>
> I previously had been trying to repair my winxp, but with the
freezing
> problems it wouldn't complete. After install of the MB, XP
started
> the install process from the beginning, asking me what kind of
install
> etc. I did get into BIOS settings and it recognized the hdd etc.
>
> I leave and when I return the winxp logo screen is up, and it goes
> further but all I get is a black screen, only able to see the
cursor.

> Multiple reboots get me to the same spot.
>
> This morning, I boot from a floppy, intending to try and start winxp
> setup that way. No D Drive found, and no C drive found.
>
> Take that out, and now I cannot get past the POST screen, not even
> into the BIOS. I get one beep. It shows the CPU, then memory,
thats
> it.
>
> The mb was inexpensive and the CPU was already installed on it.
>
> I've uninstalled the cdrom/floppy and have tried a couple of video
> cards.
>
> Syntax SV266A mb, AMD 2.x CPU, Phoenix AwardBios
>
> Wondering if I somehow blew something up?

The CPU on the new MB is new.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> common denominator CPU
>

> "bizee" <bizeesheri@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Posted previously re: computer freezing. New PSU, memory didn't fix
> > it. Bought a new MB, installed it last night and was pleasantly
> > suprised that it worked first time (first time installation for me
> of
> > a MB).
> >
> > I previously had been trying to repair my winxp, but with the
> freezing
> > problems it wouldn't complete. After install of the MB, XP
> started
> > the install process from the beginning, asking me what kind of
> install
> > etc. I did get into BIOS settings and it recognized the hdd etc.
> >
> > I leave and when I return the winxp logo screen is up, and it goes
> > further but all I get is a black screen, only able to see the
> cursor.
> >
> > Multiple reboots get me to the same spot.
> >
> > This morning, I boot from a floppy, intending to try and start winxp
> > setup that way. No D Drive found, and no C drive found.
> >
> > Take that out, and now I cannot get past the POST screen, not even
> > into the BIOS. I get one beep. It shows the CPU, then memory,
> thats
> > it.
> >
> > The mb was inexpensive and the CPU was already installed on it.
> >
> > I've uninstalled the cdrom/floppy and have tried a couple of video
> > cards.
> >
> > Syntax SV266A mb, AMD 2.x CPU, Phoenix AwardBios
> >
> > Wondering if I somehow blew something up?

jad

same harddrive?

bizeesheri@aol.com (bizee) said:

> I previously had been trying to repair my winxp, but with the freezing
> problems it wouldn't complete.

Did you call Microsoft like I suggested? They give you a certain amount of
free technical support, this sounds like a good time to use it.
--
Mac Cool

spencer

Mac

Not sure if this is related but had alot of lag and freezing while playing
UT2004 but the demo played fine B4 the full version came out.
Also IL2 freezing.
The odd black screen after loading mem check etc.
In the end perchased a new HD with 8MB cache and had no problems since.

Even if the HD is new, it could still be faulty.

Spence