[SOLVED] was getting a 10700k a mistake?

Dec 20, 2020
Hello people.

edit:
Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q Stock fans
Ram: G-skill flare-X 2x8gb CL14
GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenix
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 750W PSU (2-3 years old)
1xSamsung 970 nvme drive 500gb
1x ssd sata 250gb
2xssd 120gb
playing at 1440p 144hz on a PG279Q

Im just wondering if getting a 10700k was a mistake.
My old system was a ryzen 1700 oc to 3,7 ghz with a noctua nh-u12p, corsair 275q case with only stock fans (1 intake 120mm and one exhaust 120mm) and a 2070 gpu.
Got hold of a 3080 shockingly and I also wanted to upgrade the cpu before christmas.
The only heavy load i do on this thing is gaming and i'm starting to get cold feet about the 10700k because of how hot it gets with that noctua u12p. I thought the cooler was gonna handle it but i might have too low airflow in the case considering the GPU as well as the much higher power draw on the cpu. The case is hanging under my desk and its noticably more hot air coming out as well as the temps on the cpu gets to over 80 degree C when gaming. I havent done any overclocking but i guess the turbo gets quite high anyway.
How much difference will "downgrading" to a 5600x make in terms of how much airflow i need in the case? I also think that the u12p can handle the 5600x better.
So my options are buying a new cooler and case fans and get tons of hot air in the room or downgrading to 5600x, get about the same gaming performance right now (but uncertain in 2 years?) and stick to that case and cooler.

Last edited:
Solution
Your problem is compounded.
1)10700K + NH-U12P.
Even on Noctua's own website, their statement on that cooler:
"If power limits are disabled in BIOS, CPU might not be able to keep maximum turbo clock under prolonged AVX loads, suggested maximum power limit: 205W"
This is a cpu that can draw up to 229w under loads - even higher if not running Intel specified power limits. That you have to lower the power limit with that cooler is a flag.

2)Corsair Carbide 275Q and other 'silent' chassis.
You pretty much sign yourself up for higher operating thermals when cooling is not the focus of its design.
PCs are pretty much space heaters and air needs to be able to get in and out of the chassis effectively. With a 10700K and a 3080, the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)10700K + NH-U12P.
"If power limits are disabled in BIOS, CPU might not be able to keep maximum turbo clock under prolonged AVX loads, suggested maximum power limit: 205W"
This is a cpu that can draw up to 229w under loads - even higher if not running Intel specified power limits. That you have to lower the power limit with that cooler is a flag.

You pretty much sign yourself up for higher operating thermals when cooling is not the focus of its design.
PCs are pretty much space heaters and air needs to be able to get in and out of the chassis effectively. With a 10700K and a 3080, the front intake is a bit lacking with a literal wall in front of the fans.

3)RTX 3080.
Knowing how popular the aftermarket cards are, you likely have one of those. Many of those cards are pulling upwards of 400w of power on their own.
That waste heat is dumped inside the chassis and needs to be removed. A good chunk of that does pass through the cpu cooler on its way out.

I believe your best move is to get a more airflow friendly chassis and a bigger cpu cooler.
If no on the chassis, then a front mounted 360mm hybrid cooler, with the fans positioned to pull air through to give them more 'breathing room'.
At the very least, the cooler needs to change.

If you can return the 10700K setup and get a 5600X, you may still end up having to change the cooler, according to Noctua.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020
1)10700K + NH-U12P.

PCs are pretty much space heaters and air needs to be able to get in and out of the chassis effectively. With a 10700K and a 3080, the front intake is a bit lacking with a literal wall in front of the fans.

3)RTX 3080.
Knowing how popular the aftermarket cards are, you likely have one of those. Many of those cards are pulling upwards of 400w of power on their own.
That waste heat is dumped inside the chassis and needs to be removed. A good chunk of that does pass through the cpu cooler on its way out.

I believe your best move is to get a more airflow friendly chassis and a bigger cpu cooler.
If no on the chassis, then a front mounted 360mm hybrid cooler, with the fans positioned to pull air through to give them more 'breathing room'.
At the very least, the cooler needs to change.

If you can return the 10700K setup and get a 5600X, you may still end up having to change the cooler, according to Noctua.

Thanks for the reply!
What case and cooler would you recommend if I were to change that ? Looks like noctua d15 is recommended a lot.
I actually have a AM4 kit for that cooler so it would fit, but the whole setup with case, gpu and cooling may not be good enought anyway with the 5600x

Dec 20, 2020
Just prior to the advent of Ryzen 5000, the 10700K was widely considered the 'go to' for new rigs...

Now it's less expensive. It just does not quite match 5700X/5800X. But, still darn fast, and, will be for years.
True. The reason I bought it was because you could get it now and it was 30-40 bucks more than a 5600x.
It was just a little hotter combined with a new gpu than i thought :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What case and cooler would you recommend if I were to change that ? Looks like noctua d15 is recommended a lot.
Just about anything with a mesh front panel for a hardware configuration like that:
Phanteks P600S(optional mesh panel)
Fractal Design Meshify 2
Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh
When it comes to keeping high end hardware cool, nothing tops the mesh chassis. They may not be to everyone's liking though.

NH-D15 is one of the best out there - the S version is technically superior in terms of compatibility. There's also:
Deepcool Assassin 3
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2
Cryorig R1 Universal

All that considered, if you want to tinker with overclocking or All/Multi Core Enhancement, air coolers are pretty much out. I'd just skip straight to a 360mm hybrid cooler.

Last edited:
The case is hanging under my desk and its noticably more hot air coming out as well as the temps on the cpu gets to over 80 degree C when gaming.
Most of that heat is coming from the 3080. As Phaaze88 pointed out, the 3080 is a very power-hungry graphics card, and most of that power gets converted to heat. The 10700K is power-hungry as well, but not as much so, and not all cores will be active under a typical gaming load, so it's not likely putting out even half as much heat as the graphics card while gaming.

You might also want to verify that there are no auto-overclocking features enabled in the BIOS, and that the boost clocks are dipping a bit when multiple cores are in use, as they should at stock settings.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello people.

edit:
Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q Stock fans
Ram: G-skill flare-X 2x8gb CL14
GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Phoenix
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 750W PSU (2-3 years old)
1xSamsung 970 nvme drive 500gb
1x ssd sata 250gb
2xssd 120gb
playing at 1440p 144hz on a PG279Q

Im just wondering if getting a 10700k was a mistake.
My old system was a ryzen 1700 oc to 3,7 ghz with a noctua nh-u12p, corsair 275q case with only stock fans (1 intake 120mm and one exhaust 120mm) and a 2070 gpu.
Got hold of a 3080 shockingly and I also wanted to upgrade the cpu before christmas.
The only heavy load i do on this thing is gaming and i'm starting to get cold feet about the 10700k because of how hot it gets with that noctua u12p. I thought the cooler was gonna handle it but i might have too low airflow in the case considering the GPU as well as the much higher power draw on the cpu. The case is hanging under my desk and its noticably more hot air coming out as well as the temps on the cpu gets to over 80 degree C when gaming. I havent done any overclocking but i guess the turbo gets quite high anyway.
How much difference will "downgrading" to a 5600x make in terms of how much airflow i need in the case? I also think that the u12p can handle the 5600x better.
So my options are buying a new cooler and case fans and get tons of hot air in the room or downgrading to 5600x, get about the same gaming performance right now (but uncertain in 2 years?) and stick to that case and cooler.
Just to be honest you bought a poor case for airflow.

Max out the front fans and add 1 top rear fan.

Upgrade your CPU cooler for air BQ dark rock pro 4, or NH D15.

The 10700K processor is a beast no mistake their.

Dec 20, 2020
Thanks for the reply guys. Also a bit more future proof with 8 core compared to 5600x.
Ill keep the 10700k, get a new cooler. A lot is out of stock right now, but ill either get a 360 aio or a d15. Either way im moving the case to the top of the desk, removing the lid on top. If i get a aio ill put that in the front and move the 120mm fan there to exhaust out on top back. If i get a D15 ill get some more case fans to try to get the air moving a bit more. If its not good enough ill get a new case.